Gaming PC with possibility for workstation/server use

alt_nick

Newcomer
G'day. Looking to build a gaming PC (STALKER, crysis, ep2, portal, gothic 3, whatnot, mostly FPSs) that will be converted to server/workstation-use as soon as I get bored of games (usually happens every winter).

Haven't had time to keep up to date on all the latest gadgets so I'd appreciate any comments:
E6600
ASUS P5B-VM DO (wanted for the 4x pci-e slot, vpro)
2x 800Mhz 1GB DDR2
8800 GTS 640MB
Zalman ZM600-HP (my PSUs usually die like flies so I thought I'd buy something a bit more expensive with fancy modular cabling)

Have a case, hard-drives and peripherals.

If there're very good reasons to wait a month or two then I might have to, but I'd prefer to buy it for easter break. My thanks in advance.

you could get a mobo with integrated graphics and sell the GTS when you quit gaming.

.. while checking your mobo I see it has it. so there's nothing to change about your rig, really :p . Intel CPU's price cut will be April 22nd. or you can get a lower end C2D, o/c it, get back to stock speed when you don't game anymore (and maybe try undervolting a bit)

If there're very good reasons to wait a month or two then I might have to, but I'd prefer to buy it for easter break. My thanks in advance.
I think you should wait, ATI is just about to release their card and that should bring prices down on current offerings by ATI/NV. If you cant wait, the X1950 can be had for a pretty good price.

whats your budget?

Y'know what? I'd probably wait a month, prices will be half. :yep2:

As others have said, April 22nd is the day of massive Intel price-cuts. The Quad-Core Q6600 CPU drops from $850 down to the $550 level. The Dual-Core E6700 drops from $320 down to the $210 level. The Dual-Core E6600 price drops as well. As you can see, waiting is well worth it.

As others have said, April 22nd is the day of massive Intel price-cuts. The Quad-Core Q6600 CPU drops from $850 down to the $550 level. The Dual-Core E6700 drops from $320 down to the $210 level. The Dual-Core E6600 price drops as well. As you can see, waiting is well worth it.
Its worth noting that you can also get good price/performance from AMD.

Couldn't get a hold of the mobo before easter so it does seem like I'm waiting. Guess I'll just have to get a wii or drink some of the money away.
Been waiting for the R600 since December so I guess I can wait a bit longer ;)

Thanks for the feedback, be back in a month or two :)

Now that a few price-cuts've come and gone, I've gotten the urge to buy gadgets again.
Same as I planned before, but with a Q6600 and PCI-X mobo.

Looking for advice on choosing between a P5NT WS or P5K WS mobo.
The P5NT has more (decent - 4x min) PCI-E slots, but am under the impression that x16 slots usually only work with GPUs. Urban legend?
P5K should have newer tech (P35), but can't find much info about it.
Other (< 300e )PCI-X boards welcome too.

No need for OC. No need for SLI/Crossfire. No tech that will be released in just a few months ;)

Edit: P5WDG2 WS Pro with two PCI-X slots could be very nice too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back