FBI foils Kmart cashier's scam

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
http://www.detnews.com/2005/business/0501/30/C01-74185.htm
This 20 year old almost got away with 145million dollars. Kid has some guts.

A 20-year-old former Kmart cashier armed with an $8 rubber stamp, a laptop computer and an old payroll check nearly defrauded the Troy-based retailer out of tens of millions of dollars in a brazen stock swindle.

Eduardo A. Portero, who shared a ramshackle two-bedroom Miami apartment with his parents, admitted this month to attempting to steal $145 million in Kmart stock.

The FBI said Portero set up dozens of bank and trading accounts in Bermuda, Switzerland and other foreign countries using at least four aliases. He even opened an account in the name of Kmart treasurer James Gooch.

Federal authorities think Portero might have gotten away with at least $50 million had he remembered to include his apartment number with his account's return address.

Instead, his carefully woven fraud began unraveling when stock transfer company EquiServe sent him 699,000 Kmart shares worth $53.8 million via FedEx last Aug. 17. They were returned as undeliverable after three days, prompting EquiServe to alert the FBI, which began an intensive investigation.

I don't care how well thought-out the scam was, anyone who can't get his own address right on an important piece of paper is an idiot. :D

Guden Oden said:
I don't care how well thought-out the scam was, anyone who can't get his own address right on an important piece of paper is an idiot. :D
its weird that a company ships such a valuable cargo to an apartment building and it doesnt make someone wonder whats happening.

epic

at my building even if they forget the apt number (visa cant seem to remember it when they mail anything, even though it is in thier computers...) it still comes to my box.

if I had $50 Million in shares comming to my mail box I would be standing there next to it waiting for the mailman to come!

It would probably fit - some stock certificates I've seen are for ten thousand shares or more.

In fact for most of the stocks my father owns he doesn't even have the certificate. This moron really fucked up by wanting the paper, but I suppose in his childish mind the possession of the certificate signified real ownership.

Back