Farewell, WinFS...

_xxx_

Banned
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/26/winfs_axed/

WinFS Team's Quentin Clark wrote on Friday that Microsoft would not be releasing WinFS as a plug-in for Windows XP or Windows Vista.

"These changes do mean that we are not pursuing a separate delivery of WinFS, including the previously planned Beta 2 release," he wrote. "With most of our effort now working towards productizing mature aspects of the WinFS project into SQL and ADO.NET, we do not need to deliver a separate WinFS offering."

There goes another "unique" feature...

Indeed. Vista is beginning to look more and more like an updated and buggy version of XP with a new UI, added DRM and annoying security.

better an updated and buggy version of XP with a new UI, added DRM and annoying security than an updated and buggy version of XP with a new UI, added DRM and annoying security and a clunky Database as Filesystem.

I dont get the hype about data-base Filesystems anyway.
Except for Mediaplayers, there is little use for exhausive searches (atleast they are so few and far between that I dont mind waiting a bit longer). If an App like a Mediaplayer needs a database, then just use one for that specific App, no need for forcing a significant memory and processor overhead to EVERYTHING.

Edit: sorry, lol, reading that article I see i was even more off topic than i originally thought. :p my apologies~!

Npl said:
I dont get the hype about data-base Filesystems anyway.
Except for Mediaplayers, there is little use for exhausive searches (atleast they are so few and far between that I dont mind waiting a bit longer). If an App like a Mediaplayer needs a database, then just use one for that specific App, no need for forcing a significant memory and processor overhead to EVERYTHING.

i'm inclined to agree, although it seems like it is too much of a benefit in some circumstances to ignore completely. Also, assuming the improved performance of Vista in this regard is true, then i don't mind so much. But what I really resented was WinXP's cataloguing of so much data I wasn't even interested in. If you're going to be slow as turds at something like that, you might as well give me the option to turn it off, and not just in registry hacks. I've applied some registry hacks and it's better now, but it was a stupid, stupid decision. So, I really only somewhat agree -- I'm ok with db file system, but they'd better not make it obscure to change EVERYTHING it catalogues, and WHEN it displays ANY of that info. Grrrr!!! :devilish: [/rant] sorry to get slightly o-t.:oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Npl said:
better an updated and buggy version of XP with a new UI, added DRM and annoying security than an updated and buggy version of XP with a new UI, added DRM and annoying security and a clunky Database as Filesystem.
I'd rather stick to the non buggy and DRM free XP personally. Not to mention less resource hungry.

XP doesn't have any bugs or DRM unless you install it, either through an update or third party software, excluding the x86-64 version.

Release XP was bug free? I don't think so.

I find it very hard to believe there was no DRM at all in XP on release but certainly the XP Licence Agreement includes reference as of June 1 2004.

Note: I'm not saying its on the same scale or level of integration as Vista but don't think for a second that its not there at all.

Edit: Windows DRM version 1 is 1999.

Last edited by a moderator:
The small amount of bugs in XP were very minor, in fact the service packs made it buggier for the sake of security. The only form of DRM is with wmv, which is hardly required and not widely used.

My point though was that it's a hell of alot less in those areas than Vista, that you cannot argue.

Back