Eye Of Judgement

[Ok, it's almost Thanksgiving and I have more or less recovered]

Sony, if you're reading this...

In a future iteration, please remember to add the "Save game video to HDD" feature.

Please. Please also add user-created medals/trophies to this game. e.g., if I beat Arwin by any chance... I would like to have the game award me a scorched Elven Archer underwear to frame and hang in my Playstation Home living room. May be endorsed by Kutaragi, Phil, or niwrA. :devilish:

[It is a lot more meaningful and buzz generating than simple scores and awards/achievements]

Yes... they should roll out PS Home only when some popular games are integrated with it. That way, they can buy some time to test and roll out other PS Home specific features (e.g., media sharing).

Please. Please also add user-created medals/trophies to this game. e.g., if I beat Arwin by any chance... I would like to have the game award me a scorched Elven Archer underwear to frame and hang in my Playstation Home living room. May be endorsed by Kutaragi, Phil, or niwrA. :devilish:

[It is a lot more meaningful and buzz generating than simple scores and awards/achievements]

Great, now my dirty underwear will be on display in a huge amount of "homes", since I cant even beat the computer on beginner yet............. if you cant beat them, join them? :)

In my defense I have only done a quick trial, but clearing my schedule for this weekend ;)

Great, now my dirty underwear will be on display in a huge amount of "homes", since I cant even beat the computer on beginner yet............. if you cant beat them, join them? :)

In my defense I have only done a quick trial, but clearing my schedule for this weekend ;)

I finally get to play EoJ for 5 hours straight. The computer thrashed me in every single game, but it was engaging and fun. I am still learning the rules. I don't understand why my Elven Archer or Twin Goblins sometimes refuse to "spawn" in a wood field even though I have enough mana. Do the cards need to be adjacent to each other ? (Sometimes I can spawn in disconnected squares though).

Also I noticed that summoning is unlocked on turn 2-3. What is that for ? The computer and I could already summon creatures in turn 1.

Yes, yes... I read the manual but forgot everything (It's not with me right now).
The game mechanics is rather simple, but the strategy element is deep.

I'll be joining JPT in donating briefs to many PS Homes. People who likes board games and card games should give this title a go. I really look forward to future themes.

Also I noticed that summoning is unlocked on turn 2-3. What is that for ? The computer and I could already summon creatures in turn 1.

I belive there are some restrictions before the lock come off, but you can see it on the right side of the picture on the creature card, ie there is a small number there or something.

I finally get to play EoJ for 5 hours straight. The computer thrashed me in every single game, but it was engaging and fun. I am still learning the rules. I don't understand why my Elven Archer or Twin Goblins sometimes refuse to "spawn" in a wood field even though I have enough mana. Do the cards need to be adjacent to each other ? (Sometimes I can spawn in disconnected squares though).

The fields you can spawn creatures to are highlighted with an animated foggy white border, so you can tell which fields you can use. Most of the time you can only use fields that are somehow connected to a field you possess (I'm not sure of all the rules for this, and diagonal may count too).

I also first thought that this lock goes away after a certain period too, allowing increasingly expensive creatures, but that's not it. First of all, the summoning lock is only applicable to creatures that have a lock haning over their mana on their card. And second, the lock is dependent on how many squares are occupied with creatures. 4 fields occupied is the point at which the summoning lock opens.

The fields you can spawn creatures to are highlighted with an animated foggy white border, so you can tell which fields you can use. Most of the time you can only use fields that are somehow connected to a field you possess (I'm not sure of all the rules for this, and diagonal may count too).

Ok... thanks for pointing out. Yes, sometimes diagonal or disconnected squares can be used. Will have to find my rulebook.

I also first thought that this lock goes away after a certain period too, allowing increasingly expensive creatures, but that's not it. First of all, the summoning lock is only applicable to creatures that have a lock haning over their mana on their card. And second, the lock is dependent on how many squares are occupied with creatures. 4 fields occupied is the point at which the summoning lock opens.

Ah I see. One more question... I noticed the computer seems to maintain its mana much better than me. Is this related to the fields they occupied ?

Not the mana. The strength of your creatures obviously does matter, because a wood creature gets +2 mana on a forest, etc. (and -2 on earth, ditto fire vs water). But you probably knew that. What you may be seeing instead is either the use of magic to boost mana, creatures that have a mana bonus, or the use of a lot of creatures which just cost 1 mana. Also realise that between activating and summoning creatures, summoning is almost always more 'cost efficient' ... a summoned creature occupies a square and attacks at the same time. So by spending 1 mana on summoning a creature, that then gains +2 on a forest so costs up to 3 mana to get rid of, attacks an opponent creature with 1 attack point, and then releases +1 mana once it dies, can be a lot more cost efficient than simply activating a creature, spending the same amount of mana, but not increasing your overall presence on the board, overall total health over your creatures, and overall return of mana for each destroyed creature. Make sense?

In my last game, the computer had 11 mana points while I had 0. Now that I think back, it may be because I was playing defensive. I was able to kill all their creatures with just 2-3 monsters + magic. So everytime I killed them, the mana went back to the computer.

I couldn't summon more creatures because my hand sucked (A 9-point and a 5-point monster, 3 magic cards. Then I kept drawing magic cards)

A friend was visiting yesterday and we played the player vs player game, nice to have somebody as clueless as you to play against. Did not really have enough cards, but we just split the starterdeck + 1 boster pack in two and played with that.
Bottom line, I think I can get seriously hooked on this, just need to compose my own deck really and bye bye spare time :D

In my last game, the computer had 11 mana points while I had 0. Now that I think back, it may be because I was playing defensive. I was able to kill all their creatures with just 2-3 monsters + magic. So everytime I killed them, the mana went back to the computer.

I couldn't summon more creatures because my hand sucked (A 9-point and a 5-point monster, 3 magic cards. Then I kept drawing magic cards)

My strategy is not to have too many magic cards in there. I only have a few turn around spells (best spell there is) and only a few high-level creatures also. Some creatures allow you to draw cards when you summon a creature or when they die ... that's also useful. Alternatively, using magic cards that allow you to sacrifice a card for mana or pick up more cards from the stack can help too. But having lots of 1 mana cost creatures, preferably with one or two extra effects (like the elf archer which turns its target 180 degrees, etc.), really makes your deck more dependable imho.

I sometimes think that the game will make sure you'll draw a spell or a strong creature at least within a certain amount of cards (the game could balance luck that way, after all), but that's pure speculation and could also be a result of statistics vs just having a really well balanced deck already.

They need to think up more uses for PS Eye though.

Besides the pack-in/perephrial issue, I think this is one reason a lot of extra devices fail. Is HW created to address known issues or is HW created and then issues are sought after? I think there are a lot of potentially good uses for cameras but they introduce as many issues as they may potentially resolve. For most games, alone, they are a big step back; the number of current designs they improve is quite small. While I would like to see devices like this included as standard devices, they tend to treat corner cases and hence don't receive a lot of attention.

My strategy is not to have too many magic cards in there. I only have a few turn around spells (best spell there is) and only a few high-level creatures also. Some creatures allow you to draw cards when you summon a creature or when they die ... that's also useful. Alternatively, using magic cards that allow you to sacrifice a card for mana or pick up more cards from the stack can help too. But having lots of 1 mana cost creatures, preferably with one or two extra effects (like the elf archer which turns its target 180 degrees, etc.), really makes your deck more dependable imho.

Welp... played another 5 hours (3:00am now). Still have not broken my losing streak but the computer can't beat me easily now (It's always 4 fields vs 4 fields until I run out of luck).

I agree with low cost, special effect creatures. Turn around card is also useful to mess with heavy creatures. I need to review through the 100+ cards to see what's useful and suits my playing style.

Can one hold > 5 cards on hand ?

I sometimes think that the game will make sure you'll draw a spell or a strong creature at least within a certain amount of cards (the game could balance luck that way, after all), but that's pure speculation and could also be a result of statistics vs just having a really well balanced deck already.

Yeah... probably probability :)

Joshua Lunar said:
Besides the pack-in/perephrial issue, I think this is one reason a lot of extra devices fail. Is HW created to address known issues or is HW created and then issues are sought after? I think there are a lot of potentially good uses for cameras but they introduce as many issues as they may potentially resolve. For most games, alone, they are a big step back; the number of current designs they improve is quite small. While I would like to see devices like this included as standard devices, they tend to treat corner cases and hence don't receive a lot of attention.

Somewhat true but I think PS Eye has the necessary X-factor to make it successful.

The PS Eye games are actually pretty good. I would rate EoJ as high as the other heavy hitters (like Resistance and R&C), but your mileage may vary. If Yu-Gi-Oh and Star Wars PS Eye games are released, I think more people will buy in (The Yu-Gi-Oh manga is exactly like the EoJ concept). The other mini-games like Creature Feature are also very well thought out and executed. My son likes it a lot.

The PS Eye tech demo here is very attractive too. I wonder if they can use the idea for LBP.

As for other PS Eye applications, I think there is much potential (PS Eye is both video and voice input). Quality-wise, PS Eye is actually better than the webcam on my PC.

A few things I will use are:

* Blu-ray/DVD player with PS Eye interface so I don't have to worry about misplacing remote (very common in my family due to the kid)

* Video conferencing compatible with Skype and/or other IM. Video mail or sharing out to my extended family overseas (from PS Home website ?). Yes, I can use a computer, but doing it via PS3 is different. In fact, I just created a few short videos this morning. I noticed that having all of us sitting on the couch/floor in a video has a very different effect from taking a video from a laptop on the desk. I can capture my son (almost full body shot while he hops up and down) compared to just head and shoulder via my webcam.

* The "Magic Mirror" app.

* Remote Survelliance (via RemotePlay to PS Eye) since I travel often.

* A better way to enter text/symbols without using the controller interface or keyboard

After playing with it, I think PS Eye deserves more attention. Try it !

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed some of the questions being asked are covered in the built-in tutorial videos. If you all haven't, you might want to consider watching them all. Even though they're long, and there's no fast forward button, after completing them I feel I have a very strong understanding of the fundamentals.

Can one hold > 5 cards on hand ?

Yes. Up to 7 (IIRC), at which point, if exceeded, the computer will tell you to discard a card.

I noticed some of the questions being asked are covered in the built-in tutorial videos. If you all haven't, you might want to consider watching them all. Even though they're long, and there's no fast forward button, after completing them I feel I have a very strong understanding of the fundamentals.

Playing this game in late nights, I find myself consistently aborting the tutorial to get some game time right away :oops:

The only lingering question in my mind now is the summoning rule (Why are some fields highlighted for summoning while others are out of bounds ? In these cases, I didn't notice any "one of a kind" creature in play, so I should be able to play the Twin Goblins or Elven Archer at will).

Yes. Up to 7 (IIRC), at which point, if exceeded, the computer will tell you to discard a card.

Cool, thanks :)

Playing this game in late nights, I find myself consistently aborting the tutorial to get some game time right away :oops:

The only lingering question in my mind now is the summoning rule (Why are some fields highlighted for summoning while others are out of bounds ? In these cases, I didn't notice any "one of a kind" creature in play, so I should be able to play the Twin Goblins or Elven Archer at will).

There must be 4 (IIRC) cards in play in order for the summoning lock to be broken. The release of the summoning lock allows you to summon a card with a lock to any (available) field, regardless of the field and creature's element. Otherwise, if you want to summon a card with a lock, you must summon the card to a field of its element (a Biolith card on a Biolith field, for example). In general, cards can only be placed on fields adjacent to where there are already creatures (friend or foe), which are highlighted in white. If the number of creatures drops back down bellow 4, the summoning lock is enacted again (your creatures remain, however).

* Blu-ray/DVD player with PS Eye interface so I don't have to worry about misplacing remote (very common in my family due to the kid)

OT I know, but I thought a lot about this after finishing my dissertation. I remembered the 'video wall' demonstration of the Cell (where it showed 48 MPEG2 streams, or some such), and then thinking "wouldn't it be cool if you could combine that with gestures", for example, spiral clockwise to zoom in on a specific video, or, drag left whilst playing a video to fast forward. My idea was to use a laser pointer/IR LED, but I couldn't figure where to put the camera. Using hand/finger recognition would work though, but it'd be incredibly complex to distinguish intention.

Edit: I then thought about how one could have devices 'extend' the gesture set to add new functionality e.g., say you have a video player, it could upload a gesture to transfer control to it, rather than the TV.

It's a shame I'll probably never do this, the work I did for the dissertation was interesting (wish it ran at above 6FPS though!)

There must be 4 (IIRC) cards in play in order for the summoning lock to be broken. The release of the summoning lock allows you to summon a card with a lock to any (available) field, regardless of the field and creature's element. Otherwise, if you want to summon a card with a lock, you must summon the card to a field of its element (a Biolith card on a Biolith field, for example). In general, cards can only be placed on fields adjacent to where there are already creatures (friend or foe), which are highlighted in white. If the number of creatures drops back down bellow 4, the summoning lock is enacted again (your creatures remain, however).

I didn't know you can summon locked creature to a square of its element before the lock is broken. :eek: Must try this out when I have the chance. Biolith creatures just got more attractive with this news. Too bad I don't own the game.

BTW, I believe a deck usually needs about 10 cost 1 creatures for balance. I also count cards that on dying return as many mana as you use to summon them as "cost 1", e.g. Skeleton Soldier.

It's a shame I'll probably never do this, the work I did for the dissertation was interesting (wish it ran at above 6FPS though!)

What was your dissertation ?

I believe the TV UI has much room for improvement too. The video wall idea would be neat since I hate going through each channel to see what's available. Even the textual program guide is pretty useless. Not sure if it can be done though.

oramay said:
BTW, I believe a deck usually needs about 10 cost 1 creatures for balance. I also count cards that on dying return as many mana as you use to summon them as "cost 1", e.g. Skeleton Soldier.

I just beat the computer for once. A stream of cost 1 creatures is really helpful in saving enough mana for some high level monsters and spells. Was able to destroy the computer's 2.5 creatures in 1 round. It didn't recover enough from the lead since then. :)

It's probably a fluke though since I am still using the starter deck.

Back