Extra folders in Dell default installation.

Basic

Regular
I've just got a new Dell computer at work, and wonder about the XP Pro they've installed.

I like to keep my root clean. I don't want to see any folders that I don't access directly myself. I can stand to see the "WINDOWS", "Program Files", and "Documents and Settings" folders. But Dell has created a few extra folders that irritates me a lot. They are called "DELL", "DRIVERS", and "I386".

Does anybody know if it's safe to remove them, or at least hide them somewhere else? (And what I could expect to happen if I do so.)

Basic said:
I've just got a new Dell computer at work, and wonder about the XP Pro they've installed.

I like to keep my root clean. I don't want to see any folders that I don't access directly myself. I can stand to see the "WINDOWS", "Program Files", and "Documents and Settings" folders. But Dell has created a few extra folders that irritates me a lot. They are called "DELL", "DRIVERS", and "I386".

Does anybody know if it's safe to remove them, or at least hide them somewhere else? (And what I could expect to happen if I do so.)

I386 contains the same files as on a normal XP CD, so if you have the CD you should be safe to delete the I386 folder. You'd have to put in the XP CD from time to time when doing installations though och changes in the installed OS apps, but that hardly ever happens anyway.

Drivers should be no problem to either remove or move, because you probably have all the drivers needed on the CD's shipped with your computer.

As for the Dell folder, I'm not sure. They could have applications installed inside there, so I can't say anything there. What's inside it?

Thanks for the help carpediem.

Most of the stuff in the DELL folder was in a subfolder called SBSIXPPR, which seem to mean Step By Step Interactive XP PRo training. I think it was just installation files for it, and it doesn't seem like anything I'll miss.

Move... (ok, I'm too much of a chicken to delete it)
Ahhh, that's a lot more tidy.

Back