Enhanced Performance Profiles

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
(mods: wasnt sure where to put this thread, if in the wrong place, please move it to the appropriate one.)

http://hot-electronics.blogspot.com/2006/05/nvidia-and-corsair-team-up.html

EPP can be seen as an upgrade of the current SPD (Serial Presence Detct) which is nowdays widely used. SPD is the system that sets up your memmory timings, and some other parameters automaticaly. EPP will enhance that service by using available space inside the current SPD blocks and filling it up with usefull inforation about each individual DIMM module. The motherboards supporting EPP wil then use that information to get the best performance possible out of the memmory module, thus incresing system performance.

If this is an open standard, royalty-free, then it looks like a useful step forward, and kudos to the designers and vendors bringing it to the market.

More news on EPP
http://techgage.com/review.php?id=4956
What is EPP? Well first let's take a look at memory overclocking. When overclocking your CPU or memory, there are many factors that come into play to assure stable settings. On AMD specifically, you must worry about using memory dividers properly, along with CPU multipliers to make sure everything adds up to what you expect. It's not as simple as plugging away simple options in your BIOS to give you a good overclock, but you will actually need to use your brain.

What CAS should I use? Should I tighten up my tRAS or leave it at 8? Should I begin to worry about secondary timings? More voltage? Argh! This can be very overwhelming for a new overclocker, and that's where EPP comes in. In simple terms, EPP will take all of the options that enthusiast overclock's use, and meld them into one option. With this one single option, you can overclock your CPU and memory at the same time.

Now the question comes into play.. What about the timings? Sure, overclocking your CPU and memory makes sense, but what about tightening or loosening of the timings to assure a stable overclock? EPP will essentially handle all the timings and other factors as well, which will make this a dream for those looking to get into the overclocking scene.

geo said:
If this is an open standard, royalty-free, then it looks like a useful step forward, and kudos to the designers and vendors bringing it to the market.
well it seems that memory makers are free to use this standard. Not sure if other chipset makers are.

Back