Employers need to archive *all* e-comms?

Surely there must be a timeframe limitation, like 12 months worth or something? Looks like I'll be scaling up my backup schedules at work by several factors.

I question the conclusions of being required to store everything. The only thing I see is a requirement to produce what you have stored.

But, of course, I'm only going by the article and not the actual decision.

I'd back everything up to magnetic tape that I'd accidentally store on the same shelf as my industrial strength magnet collection. :yep2:

This is old news if you work in the financial industry. Don't know how long they keep stuff around for though.

About a year ago a guy quit on bad terms so they were monitoring all his access - local and remote.They caught him trying to do stuff he shouldn't have been doing the night before his last day of work and revoked his access to all corporate systems.

He tried to sue the company for libel (apparently they didnt give a favorable recommendation when his new employer was checking references). During the ensuing investigation they went back and read a whole bunch of his emails. He was chummy with a couple friends of mine and they got interviewed by the firm's lawyers. I was kinda scared for a bit because we don't necessarily stick to professional environment protocol when sending work emails :)

Still hasn't stopped me from saying things I shouldnt be saying on work email but if something happens in the future it's possible all that stuff could get reviewed by someone. Fortunately I don't think people directly involved in your division get to read them - just the lawyers / HR people.

I'd like to think that anyone using a company/corporate e-mail account/chat/IRC or anything else they do web related through that company is pretty much fair game for open inspection.

That's the policy I've always operated under.

Yes if they are using corporate email services, you must be expected to be monitored at some stage. As a network admin at my work I have had a few occasions where I've had to present certain emails to the owners, even have to go through them myself to find ones regarding the issue at hand.

Back