DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

I still wonder why in wet conditions the spray behind the cars are so small. These sprays further have only minimal impact on the window of the car behind...as everything else in wet conditions is so well made and life like, this stands really out to me.
Gameplay reasons (visibility) might be part of it.

The high graphical cost of large transparencies is without a doubt also a factor.

As for having a minimal impact on windows and things... it's pretty common for transparencies to not play nicely with screen-space reflections. (Destiny's SSR method should work okay with transparencies, but it's also using an ultra-simplified and somewhat inaccurate approach to the "ray tracing.")

it's not quite the real thing but it's still on of the best i've played when it comes to car sounds, what's really good in this video is the reverb in the distance.
and it sounds even better with a 5.1 audio headstet than a stereo youtube video.

That's probably true, but I was refering to the "monotone" sound which is very different than what the real thing sounds like. IMO, it sounds a bit like too much engine noise (like what you'd get from inside the car), when in fact what we should be hearing is more or less purely the exhaust note coming out the back.

Here's a sample where I recorded my car on full blast outside:

Perhaps not the best example since my car isn't exactly "standard" in that sense, but it's not too far off what a standard Ferrari sounds, or Maserati if you like. So when I'm saying I'm not impressed with the car sounds in DriveClub, don't take any offence. I'm merely saying it as an avid track day participant. I think sound, sadly, is one of the things that games don't capture too well so far.

i think they get the base engine sound right for some cars (ferrari 458 from inside is quite good), but it's missing all the subtilities of the exhaust, downshift rumbles, etc...it must be hard to simulate i guess.

Yeah, exactly. What I also find missing is the sound of the engine under full load. Revving an engine in neutral (or first gear) is very different to actually being full throttle in say 4th gear. I'll upload a video from a lap from one of the track days - GoPro at the side of the car.

Excuse the crap quality. It's actually a 1080p60 video that was downsized for mobile phone sharing and uploaded from there to Youtube (as I'm at the office with no access to the original video). But it's good enough as a demonstration on the topic of sound.

EDIT: Uploaded from the original file. Much better. :)

Last edited:
Evolution studios are cutting 55 jobs, afaik half of the studio :no:
Isn't this normal? We've seen studio deliver a game then many of the team depart to work on other things. Not everybody is required all the time and paying people when they're not needed is not really a luxury that anybody can afford. We saw the same happening to Santa Monica, Sucker Punch and Guerrilla Games after projects were games were delivered/cancelled. It only seems to be big studios with two concurrent teams, like Naughty Dog, who aren't so impacted by this employment inflate and deflate trend.

Apparently the redundancies affect permanent positions, and from the press releases it sounds a bit more serious than usual periodic shedding of contractors.

Yeah, nobody announces shredding contractors anyway because it's a completely normal thing to do. Doesn't really come as a surprise, though. The game was delayed for an entire year, and then it took them another 6 months to basically achieve feature parity with what's been par for the course in modern racing games for decades. Sorry, but a replay feature isn't exactly some never-before-seen voodoo shit. Someone mismanaged the hell out of that project.

Back