Doom Movie Trailer

Release date October 21st? Doesn't that seem a bit rushed? I suppose there's not much need for acting in this movie, but still, thats only about a year after they started filming.

- Set on Mars [Check]
- Convincing prosthetic monsters [Check]
- Lots of big guns [Check]
- Hot chick [Check]
- 10-minute First-person POV scene [Check]
- Aliens vibe [Check]
- Positive Comic Con coverage [Check]
- Looks like it might not actually bomb [Check]

Thanks Silent_One.

Perhaps it's premature, but I'm really starting to look forward to this now. Earlier in the year, there was a lot of griping about the story/setting changes, etc, i.e. it wasn't set on Mars, the monster weren't from Hell, it was going to be a Resident Evil clone, blah blah, but the recent indicators suggest this might be a decent B-movie blockbuster, possibly even sleeper hit, especially if the release date period isn't too cluttered. While I could be totally off base, I will probably watch it at the cinema anyway, so here's hoping.

Cheers,

BrynS

The final 10% of the human genome has just been discovered... :?

This isn't Doom; it's Resident Evil on Mars. Doom didn't have much of a story but I don't see why they had to change anything. They could've just worked with what was there: research into funky quantum mechanics based alien technology opens up portals to a different dimension (which, unfortunately, happens to be hell rather then someplace pleasant such as Care-a-Lot, home of the Care Bears) and bad nasties come through it.

One might say that changing the cause of the problem from extra-dimensional invasion to genetic engineering gone awry is a minor change. But if it's minor then why bother making the change?

ZoinKs! said:

This isn't Doom; it's Resident Evil on Mars. Doom didn't have much of a story but I don't see why they had to change anything. They could've just worked with what was there: research into funky quantum mechanics based alien technology opens up portals to a different dimension (which, unfortunately, happens to be hell rather then someplace pleasant such as Care-a-Lot, home of the Care Bears) and bad nasties come through it.

One might say that changing the cause of the problem from extra-dimensional invasion to genetic engineering gone awry is a minor change. But if it's minor then why bother making the change?

Cause Christian America sucks. :?

Seriously though, I think they were aiming for PG-13, and demons/hell would probably bump it up to R...

zurich said:
ZoinKs! said:

Seriously though, I think they were aiming for PG-13, and demons/hell would probably bump it up to R...

this only makes me fell better about movie...and its connection to the game....

IMO, its -> "stick _some_game_name_ and make something that looks llike it here and there and hope for quick cash" kind of movie....

zurich said:
ZoinKs! said:

According to the interview.. its Rated R though... so.. wth? I really dont like that they are drastically changing the story like that. I dont need a Resident Evil with The Rock in it.

Actually the story summary on the official site seems to be pretty close to the game's storyline. It's possible the trailer was just made for marketing to a larger audience.

www.doommovie.com said:
Something has gone wrong at a remote scientific research station on Mars. All research has ceased. Communication has failed. And all messages that do get through are less than comforting. It's a level 5 quarantine and the only souls allowed in or out are the Rapid Response Tactical Squad -- hardened Space Marines armed to the teeth with enough firepower to neutralize any enemy... or so they think. The research being done at Odluvai station has unwittingly opened a door and all hell has broken loose. A legion of nightmarish creatures of unknown origin lurk behind every wall and stalk the countless rooms and tunnels of the facility, killing what few people remain.

I would just like to say that this movie is so far off the mark that it isn't even funny.
It's nothing like Doom.
Another crap movie not to see.

Kanyamagufa said:
Anyone else think it's scary how much the Rock actually looks like the marine from Doom 3?

They should have given him plastic surgery to make him look more polygonal to stay true to the game. (a polygonyplasty if you will)

Silent_One said:
Looks pretty good. Hope it is.

I won't.

It just... won't.

Movies made from games have always been crap and always will. the reason being that games have storylines on level with college-made short films. Z-movies. Actually, college-made films might even have more interesting storylines.

Make a movie out of game's stories and you get the same level of movie. A Z-movie.

There was one or 2 exceptions i think, but in the end the vastest majority will fall into that group.

Look at Doom's story. Or lack of. Nothing particularly good will ever come out of that story, first because there have already been countless movies with a very similar story, second because the story itself is crap.

Obviously, some people will be happy with just scary looking monsters, big explosions and big muscles.

Back