Does overprovisioning work for longer MicroSD life span?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
i mean, like... always leaving 20% free space (or directly walled the partition off by 20%). does it make microsd cards lasts longer?
IIRC the sd association spec didn't require manufacturers to have trim and wear leveling, but it does allows manufacturers to have those features.

as I'm considering to buy a 512GB microsd but the very expensive price (around 10-20% more than an SSD) and lower TBW than SSD, makes me too afraid. as larger capacity = more data loss when it fails.

EDIT: and MLC or TLC in pseudo MLC microsd cards are way more expensive. almost 2x price of SSD.

No, over-provisioning and wear-levelling is mostly handled by the drive controller in the SSD, microSD cards are much simpler. The best advice I can give is spend a little more and buy a recognised brand, i.e. Kingston, Lexar, Samsung, SanDisk etc.

Remember that MicroSD cards are not designed for heavy-write operations, regardless of the write-cycle counts cited.

No, over-provisioning and wear-levelling is mostly handled by the drive controller in the SSD, microSD cards are much simpler. The best advice I can give is spend a little more and buy a recognised brand, i.e. Kingston, Lexar, Samsung, SanDisk etc.

Remember that MicroSD cards are not designed for heavy-write operations, regardless of the write-cycle counts cited.
That's a bummer.

My 256GB sandisk died (actually, entered the read only failsafe mode) in less than a year. Gonna RMA it after I finished backing it up.

But their endurance lines are simply way too expensive :/

Another thing to be aware of is the market seems to be flooded with false products out there, so be extra careful where you purchase from. If you're not buying direct from a manufacturer you're possibly at risk for counterfeit products. When you see that lower price from a third party seller, beware. Sandisk products have been heavily targeted.

Another thing to be aware of is the market seems to be flooded with false products out there, so be extra careful where you purchase from. If you're not buying direct from a manufacturer you're possibly at risk for counterfeit products. When you see that lower price from a third party seller, beware. Sandisk products have been heavily targeted.

yeah, and sandisk didnt provie a web page to check its legit or not. need to manually open live chat with their CS, type the super small serial number on the back of microsd card, and they will say its genuine or not.

btw i suspect my early death of sandisk ultra microsd was because it was used as android "Adopted storage" (as my android 7 tablet only have 16GB internal storage, way too tiny). Despite it was labelled "A1", so it was made for phones, the workload of "Adopted storage" seems too much.

Yeah, if you're buying something like a microSD card from Amazon, there is a high chance that you'll end up with a counterfeit product - this is because of the way Amazon resellers and stocking works. In the UK Sandisk have an official store (under Western Digital) and I only buy from there.

Yeah, if you're buying something like a microSD card from Amazon, there is a high chance that you'll end up with a counterfeit product - this is because of the way Amazon resellers and stocking works. In the UK Sandisk have an official store (under Western Digital) and I only buy from there.

Having them directly sells is really nice!

In my region, sandisk/wd didn't have their own store but they have official sellers on popular online marketplaces. But they are not listed in the official wd/sandisk website. Wd/sandisk only list the B2B main distributors. So for common people, it can be confusing which ones are the real deal.

There's also online stores that clearly labels fake and real (they misuses the "OEM" term for fake stuff tho).

anyone know any comparison or endurance spec between

2022 samsung evo plus Vs Sandisk High Endurance?

they have the same price. but Samsung got 10 yrs of warranty, while Sandisk only 2 yrs. Naming-wise, sandisk should last longer. But warranty-wise, Samsung is waaaaaay longer.

EDIT: ordered the Samsung.

btw better to clone the previous sandisk to the new Samsung (any downside of this? other than making me need to use linux software that I'm uncomfortable with), or copy paste the data, or it doesn't matter?

Last edited:
Depends on the filesystem I suppose. I'm primarily a Windows idiot, so I'd format it and then use Robocopy (built into all modern versions of Windows) to carry over all the filesystem data, metadata and feature flags so long as the filesystems are the same (eg ExFAT to ExFAT, or NTFS to NTFS, etc.)

The vernacular is robocopy source destination flags. So if your old SD card is mounted as E:\ and your new SD card is mounted as F:\ it would be (open a new cmd.exe prompt from the Run command)

robocopy E:\* F:\* /COPYALL /S

Last edited:
Depends on the filesystem I suppose. I'm primarily a Windows idiot, so I'd format it and then use Robocopy (built into all modern versions of Windows) to carry over all the filesystem data, metadata and feature flags so long as the filesystems are the same (eg ExFAT to ExFAT, or NTFS to NTFS, etc.)

The vernacular is robocopy source destination flags. So if your old SD card is mounted as E:\ and your new SD card is mounted as F:\ it would be (open a new cmd.exe prompt from the Run command)

robocopy E:\* F:\* /COPYALL /S

Unfortunately windows subsystem Linux didn't allow mounting of adopted storage.

I'. In the end I used my hive os Ubuntu to do th copying.

Do not do this. If anyone has need to do so. Better to clone the disk. Because copying via hiveos Ubuntu results in copied files have wrong permissions set up. Even when they are 777,thry still can't be read on Android without root.

Back