Do the 8800GT/8800GTS512 XP drivers support Purevideo HD?

Morte66

Newcomer
Hi folks, I've just spent two hours googling this and (bizarrely) can't find a concrete answer. I'd wager it's out there, it's just hiding to spite me.

AFAICT, the VP2 engine launched with Purevideo HD driver support for Vista only and a promise that XP drivers would come out around June 07. I can't find any definitive statement that XP drivers were ever released, just some nvidia forum posts from June/July 07 saying "where are they?" I'm fairly sure suitable XP drivers were eventually released for the 8600; but it's unclear to me whether they're a unified driver and subsequent 8800GT(S512) drivers would inherit Purevideo HD support from them without mentioning it in Google-visible docs.

No 8800GT/8800GTS512 review I've read actually says in as many words that they tested VC-1 decoding with XP.

Could somebody put me out of my misery with a definitive answer? All help much appreciated.

p.s. If anybody has experience of decoding BD/HDDVD compliant VC-1 with an 8800GT and a CPU in the A64 X2 3800+ ballpark...

Sent an email to NV PureVideo dude; we'll see if he responds.

Thanks. The nearest I've got to confirmation of support so far is that the PowerDVD Ultra manual mentions the 8800GT without any footnotes about Vista/XP being different. I was beginning to think I'd have to buy the card and return it if it didn't work...

Back