DNS problems with windows, and wireless adaptor.

shazam

Newcomer
This happens on both widows vista and xp.

I have a linksys wireless g pci adaptor.

And "The Comcast Gateway" which is basically a cable modem and a wireless router in one unit.

I can connect to the gateway fine, but after i connect, the internet works for only a short time. After that it just fails. I have found that the problem is that the DNS settings keep getting by reset something for some reason. But this is only with windows, my fedora machine and my PS3 are able to maintain the DNS settings. But whenever windows connects, the gateway resets and forgets the DNS numbers and puts them at 0.0.0.0 for both primary and secondary.

Does anyone know of a soluion?

Much better to use your ISPs own DNS for most people (try pinging your ISP DNS vs the OpenDNS) since DNS latency will generally be better if the DNS is physically closer.

I'd suggest manually setting the DNS on the modem/router.

This happens on both widows vista and xp.

I have a linksys wireless g pci adaptor.

And "The Comcast Gateway" which is basically a cable modem and a wireless router in one unit.

I can connect to the gateway fine, but after i connect, the internet works for only a short time. After that it just fails. I have found that the problem is that the DNS settings keep getting by reset something for some reason. But this is only with windows, my fedora machine and my PS3 are able to maintain the DNS settings. But whenever windows connects, the gateway resets and forgets the DNS numbers and puts them at 0.0.0.0 for both primary and secondary.

Does anyone know of a soluion?

Is your modem/router based on the broadcom chipset, and your Linksys card based on an Intel chipset by any chance?

Last edited by a moderator:
After half the lease time, your Windows machine will request a new IP address, while the others don't. You might want to check the length of the lease. Setting it to 0 or -1 (depending) generally disables that limit.

Hmm, I have the same problem:
On my vista desktop, I lose internet connection (can't browse internet but aim still works) after about a day on both my wired and wireless connection. Needs a reboot to work again.

Happens on my ubuntu laptop (thinkpad x41t) on wireless, may or may not happen on wired. Not quite the same problem though, it just loses the wireless connection after like 3 days and is unable to reconnect without rebooting.

Hmm, I have the same problem:
On my vista desktop, I lose internet connection (can't browse internet but aim still works) after about a day on both my wired and wireless connection. Needs a reboot to work again.

Happens on my ubuntu laptop (thinkpad x41t) on wireless, may or may not happen on wired. Not quite the same problem though, it just loses the wireless connection after like 3 days and is unable to reconnect without rebooting.
Is your wireless adapter using the Windows driver? Many do.

Is your wireless adapter using the Windows driver? Many do.

It's an atheros one on my laptop, and I think it has a native linux driver.

My desktop has the same disconnect problems whether running ubuntu or vista, btw. Don't use the wireless card on it though because the native linux driver for my desktop card doesn't support wpa encryption.

Back