Digital TV Date Pushed to 2009

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20051021/tc_pcworld/123136

The Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation on Thursday approved a bill to set April 7, 2009, as the date that all U.S. TV stations must move to digital broadcasts and vacate the upper 700MHz radio frequency spectrum. The committee voted down an amendment, offered by Senator John McCain (R-Arizona) to move the digital television (DTV) transition deadline to April 7, 2007.

Considering the visual sacrifices that come with digital television, I'm not surpirsed. Granted, I haven't watched an analog signal in about 4 years, but I still get annoyed with visible dithering on almost a daily basis.

I seriously doubt that it was decided on visual quality basis. More like a economic/politic decision.

But regarding the image quality, well, sure there are inherent artifacts, but you have to have a pretty awsome reception to match the overall quality with analog IMO. I mean, there are a lot of artifacts in analog transmissions aswell, just not the same ones.

That being said, the all-digital transformation has begun around here(Sweden), and I'm not at all happy the way they're handling it.

Back