Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really good cell shading. CC2 and ArcSystem works still more aesthetically pleasing and insane lookiny but we need more games like this in general. Why cel shading went out of style on the whole I'll never fully understand

I presumed this is because DualSense had hardware that DualShock 4 does not, including more sensitive gyros, touchpad, vastly different rumble and of course the triggers are different. Some games might work but plenty would not. DualShock 4 works fine for backwards compatibility games.
Are there games where you cant turn off the rumble/adaptive trigger functionality?

So it's not something actually needed for any game at all.

Suggests they could have made DS4 compatible with PS5 if they really wanted to.
They work in remote sessions, so sure, they would work. I also don't understand why you need a ps4 controller for ps4 games. I guess they were just to lazy to implement a driver routine for it.
But it is the same with ps VR. They bring something new and don't want to invest into a compatibility layer. Sure there will be updates for a few games but essentially they reboot the already quite small market and generate some major hurdles for the new technology. It is like they intend to let the new thing die if it isn't good enough from the beginning.

Last edited:
I don't understand how FSR2, DLSS, TSR etc can exist as technology. This is literally magic. Geniuses work with software is all I can think. This is as much of a clear generational advancement as anything else I've seen.

Essentially minimizing GPU load by what, 50 percent? 60 percent? With just a software temporal method and some DRS? Your essentially artificially enhancing the consoles power without even doing anything besides ticking a setting.

The majority of the internal resolutions here are super low. Numbers you would see on a base Xbox one in most games. But with the power of FSR you can essentially get a very sharp and detailed picture even on a big 4k screen regardless of the 1440p or 2160 upscale..without all the fuss and get a decent 30 or 60fps read out on top of that!

If this had been around for last gen, PS4 pro and one x would not have even been neccesary to take advantage of 4k screens...

If this had been around for last gen, PS4 pro and one x would not have even been neccesary to take advantage of 4k screens...
FSR 2's frame-time cost is around 2 milliseconds on an Xbox Series X (at 4K) with a version that has some reductions in precision over the PC version of FSR 2. 2 milliseconds on a GPU with 12.1 teraflops of compute performance and a lot of FSR2's cost is just pure compute.
FSR 2's cost would make it unviable on something like a base xbox one or PS4, and maybe even on a PS4Pro for that matter.

FSR 2's frame-time cost is around 2 milliseconds on an Xbox Series X (at 4K) with a version that has some reductions in precision over the PC version of FSR 2. 2 milliseconds on a GPU with 12.1 teraflops of compute performance and a lot of FSR2's cost is just pure compute.
FSR 2's cost would make it unviable on something like a base xbox one or PS4, and maybe even on a PS4Pro for that matter.
Fair. Maybe last gen is pushing it

It would be interesting to see during the development process how they balance game development with post process solutions that raise performance like FSR2 for example.

Like how many milliseconds does FSR2 save developers on system resources they would otherwise need to dedicate to brute forcing the resolution higher.

FSR2 and I'd assume dynamic res implementation does have a cost, but it's probably peanuts compared to what is gained considering what im looking at. You don't even need to raise resolutions at all this gen to keep pace with asset fidelity

The RTX 3080 12 GB and RTX 3080 Ti also stutter in the cutscene with the exploding USG Kellion. It can't be only due to the 10 GB of the RTX 3080.

Motive needs to make some technical improvements to the game. Rarely has a game stuttered so much. It's a pity because the game is very good.

The RTX 3080 12 GB and RTX 3080 Ti also stutter in the cutscene with the exploding USG Kellion. It can't be only due to the 10 GB of the RTX 3080.

Motive needs to make some technical improvements to the game. Rarely has a game stuttered so much. It's a pity because the game is very good.
No one said 12 GB buffer is enough for these scenes.

Great Dead Space PC breakdown video!

With the way 2022 ended and 2023 started with PC ports, I am worried for Starfield.

Currently, I have a PS5 so I can play some of the titles that I am interested in over there where the issues are noticeably lessened and I don't have to wait 1-4 mins for shaders to compile or check caches at game boot whenever I want to start a game.

That said, I don't own a Series X. In 2020, I went with a X570/3800X-based PC and in 2021 upgraded my older GPU to the RTX 3060. It was already expensive and hard to get and I wasn't willing to spend more (I got it retail but the prices back then were higher than MSRP.)

So, the PC is good, but doesn't have anywhere near enough power to brute force and minimize any optimization issues...and I don't plan on upgrading again anytime soon.

...I am worried for Starfield. 🙁

With the way 2022 ended and 2023 started with PC ports, I am worried for Starfield.

Currently, I have a PS5 so I can play some of the titles that I am interested in over there where the issues are noticeably lessened and I don't have to wait 1-4 mins for shaders to compile or check caches at game boot whenever I want to start a game.

That said, I don't own a Series X. In 2020, I went with a X570/3800X-based PC and in 2021 upgraded my older GPU to the RTX 3060. It was already expensive and hard to get and I wasn't willing to spend more (I got it retail but the prices back then were higher than MSRP.)

So, the PC is good, but doesn't have anywhere near enough power to brute force and minimize any optimization issues...and I don't plan on upgrading again anytime soon.

I wouldn't worry so much. Bethesda said MS engineers have been helping out. MS has a great track record with pc ports esp long term support. Also starfield is focused only on xbox series and pc. So its one less platform than even this game

Worry?

You need to manage your expectations better. "Worry" is by definition a state of anxiety and uncertainty over actual or potential problems.

This is Bethesda. That uncertainty should be replaced by a high level of confidence.

This game will be buggy. LOL jj

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back