Digg deletes an entry about a HD-DVD key, the outcome is a web 2.0 revolt

Farid

Artist formely known as Vysez
Veteran
Supporter
Damn you beat me to it. I just woke up, and went to digg and it was just nuts over there. It will be interesting to see if digg ever recovers from this blow.

epic

And here I left Slashdot when it was overtaken by the kiddies... All this widespread immaturity at digg is really surprising. What gets me is how many are crying about their freedom being violated on a website owned by two private individuals. Can't blame digg for not supporting a legal liability.

epicstruggle said:
It will be interesting to see if digg ever recovers from this blow.
It better do, or others, still good, social bookmarking sites are doomed in the short term.
All this widespread immaturity at digg is really surprising.
I mean, "really?"
Are you new to Digg, or do you never read comments to Digg stories?

Because, if you ask me, Digg has anything but a mature audience.

I mean, "really?"
Are you new to Digg, or do you never read comments to Digg stories?

Because, if you ask me, Digg has anything but a mature audience.
I don't read digg every day but I do read a story here and there including the comments but the comments were no where near as bad as on Slashdot. Maybe I just got lucky until now.

I don't read digg every day but I do read a story here and there including the comments but the comments were no where near as bad as on Slashdot. Maybe I just got lucky until now.
I'd concede that Slashdot is on a league of its own when it comes to static/noise in the comment area.

Cooked eggs you say!!!

Beyond3D will not tolerate posters breaking the D.M.C.A Digital Millenium Cookery Act

Well, it took a long time, considering that all three processing nodes have a global masterkey. Two to go, and the whole chain is open. I'm pretty sure marketing and business people had more to say about the security implementation than technicians, because they would never have agreed to such a sloppy and easily breakable scheme.

But yes, less than 0.001% of those diggers have any idea what that key actually does.

What does it do actually? HDDVD decryption? Is that such a big deal?
Well, it was sold as being extremely secure, totally unbreakable, and covering the whole processing chain, from the disk to the monitor. No way to even make an analog copy. It has a mechanism to revoke all the invidual component keys when compromised, very strong encryption, using asynchronous keys for validation as well as synchronous keys to actually decrypt the data, which would need a far future quantum computer to break through brute force. The best ever, and totally secure.

Oh, and it also includes masterkeys for each of the processing nodes, to make it very easy to produce identical hardware and disks for distribution...

So, the only thing they can do against this, is revoke the personal keys of everyone suspected of using that masterkey to view the content illegally. Essentially making it impossible for those people to view any HD content, unless they use a "black" player.

And here I left Slashdot when it was overtaken by the kiddies... All this widespread immaturity at digg is really surprising. What gets me is how many are crying about their freedom being violated on a website owned by two private individuals. Can't blame digg for not supporting a legal liability.

Well what did you expect? the request from AACS to remove the key from the whole internet is just stupid. Requesting something like that is a open invitation for everyone to post the key as many times as possible.

You know you cant remove the key from the net, making such a request is only going to make people spread the key more and more just to piss AACS as much as possible.

People just now started revolting against Digg? I've been doing it for awhile now, mainly after the way they handled a problem of mine relating to my website. Being ignored is so fun...

Anyway, Digg has been crap from day one, social bookmarking is crap, social networks are crap, yeah pretty much anything these days with social in the name are crap. Getting a huge group of idiots into one place does not make their collective retard-ness lower.

Back