Dean Takahashi at CES with AMD/ATI

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/taka...sday-experiencemeeting-with-amds-phil-hester/

Various interesting bits there, including: the Xenos IP handheld chip launching, and a higher end one later in the year; R680 (presumably) being more power efficient than recent ATI high-end cards; next generation consoles being in the middle of their design cycles (the implication being they are starting to talk spec with MS --and others?-- re GPUs for those; and some other odds & sods.

Raja Koduri is described as "chief technology officer" for GPG. . . is that a title bump, or did Dean mishear? Wasn't Raja head of research before?

Edit: and Bob Drebin was CTO of the old ATI.

Not sure if Raja's new job has been announced yet, maybe Dean just did :LOL: It's a bump, and I think Bob's going part-time to spend more time with family and look at other opportunities.

Had a good debate with a new AMDer about the position switch recently, and it looks to be a net win for AMD after Bob hands it over. While it can seem a bit odd to enthuse about just one or two people (see my recent mhouston/TomF news) in a company made up of hundreds or thousands of really good engineers, Raja's one of those people that I like to enthuse about.

While it can seem a bit odd to enthuse about just one or two people (see my recent mhouston/TomF news) in a company made up of hundreds or thousands of really good engineers, Raja's one of those people that I like to enthuse about.

People are not widgets, no matter how much the HR department and the MBA programs would like to believe.

AMD has cost reduced a version of the Xbox 360 graphics chip and will be putting it into the phone. While the Xbox 360 chip has 48 unified shader pipelines, the two models of the cell phone graphics chip have one or four.
Does that also mean they kept the eDRAM design? At that size, it would make sense to integrate it into the shader core.

I get the feeling Microsoft (or a licensee) is going to make a hand-held CE device with miniXenos that is fully integrated with Xbox Live Marketplace and the Arcade games. Quick and dirty ports! :p

Back