Daxter (PSP) IGN Review

Daxter's movement ties directly into his animation set, and this too is rather phenomenal. Every facet of his being moves in some way during every action; from his ears flopping a bit while he runs to his tail wagging to and fro as he scurries about, Daxter's animation set is on-par with his own on the PlayStation 2, which is to say it's some of the best in the industry. The first time you climb a wall and notice the almost lizard-esque subtleties in his body movement, you'll be sold.

Streaming world, the ability to save anywhere, great music and tons more is only hindered a bit by its not-so-great story.
Coming about as close to the console series as possible on the PSP, this game simply looks fantastic.

9.0 Outstanding

daxter-retrospective-20060307063622558.jpg

daxter-20060213001158480.jpg

This is an automatic pick up for me. What about you guys?

http://psp.ign.com/articles/694/694798p1.html

I started to hate Jak2 very quickly because the game was so damn frustrating. In fact, I think I smashed up a joypad while playing it, trying to get to the fucking arena on time but kept getting blown up by the squillion cops that suddenly appear as soon as you start that particular mission.

If I was to buy a PSP - or rather WHEN, because I want the ceramic white version which isn't sold over here yet - I won't get this game for it because it would just end with me throwing a very expensive portable piece of hardware across the room and shattering it into a million pieces. Seeing as the game's made by the same bunch of talentless guys, I'm sure the game's a frustrating pile of steaming shite - except for the graphics and effects, which really were quite uber in Jak.

So the answer to your question is "no".

I'm just a bit annoyed by the way that IGN mentions "streaming world" in their review, yet all their screenshots are indoors. And how does this streaming world affect battery life? We know the UMD drive is pretty hungry...

Heh, i absolutely loved Jak2 although i agree it got very frustrating at times. Jak3 was much much better in this regard.

I know this is a really stupid question, but considering that this game is made by Naught Dog, will there be no load times? It says streaming world, but GTA still had some load times and the thought of having something like this on a handheld with no load times is pretty amazing.

From the review, it sounds like it'll be "streaming" as were the console Jaks.
That is, there will be some short load delays when moving from one major area to another, but they'll be masked by an "opening door animation".

Also, from the review, they say this will be quite easy, at least in the beginning, so maybe ther difficulty level will be lower than Jak2 overall (although I don't think Jak2 was difficult at all. There was just one slightly frustrating mission; the one Guden gave up where you have to escape a lot of "cops" in an oversea village level. That mission did take a few attempts and basically just required you to memorize where the cops appeared and not to shoot like crazy but cincentrate your effort in eliminating a fatal build up of cops in the area. After that mission the game was easy.)

About a game that is pure streaming with no loading whatsoever after the initial load and loads after save... I don't think there is one such (bigger) game on any platform. I think they all stream during some cutscene animation or "door opening animation"... which makes the whole concept of "streaming" a bit shady....

Last edited by a moderator:
nintenho said:
I know this is a really stupid question, but considering that this game is made by Naught Dog, will there be no load times? It says streaming world, but GTA still had some load times and the thought of having something like this on a handheld with no load times is pretty amazing.

Jak games do have loading, it's just "hidden", sometimes not even too discreetly, like when you want to go into another "section" of the game, and the door takes a few seconds to open... that's the game loading the next area of the game... :D

EDIT: rabid beat me to it... damn fast fingers!

Guden Oden said:
I started to hate Jak2 very quickly because the game was so damn frustrating. In fact, I think I smashed up a joypad while playing it, trying to get to the fucking arena on time but kept getting blown up by the squillion cops that suddenly appear as soon as you start that particular mission.

If I was to buy a PSP - or rather WHEN, because I want the ceramic white version which isn't sold over here yet - I won't get this game for it because it would just end with me throwing a very expensive portable piece of hardware across the room and shattering it into a million pieces. Seeing as the game's made by the same bunch of talentless guys, I'm sure the game's a frustrating pile of steaming shite - except for the graphics and effects, which really were quite uber in Jak.

So the answer to your question is "no".

I'm just a bit annoyed by the way that IGN mentions "streaming world" in their review, yet all their screenshots are indoors. And how does this streaming world affect battery life? We know the UMD drive is pretty hungry...

I wouldn't judge the Jak series by number 2. And certainly not daxter.

The team behind the Jak & Daxter series is one of the better dev studios around (certainly the first time I've ever heard anyone say they are "talentless"), and the guys that made Daxter are a different studio completely -- Ready At Dawn (founded by 3 people, 2 guys from blizzard and 1 from naughtydog).

Guden Oden said:
If I was to buy a PSP - or rather WHEN, because I want the ceramic white version which isn't sold over here yet -

I already pointed you to a store that sells the white in a PM, so thats no excuse...

I'll be getting this next month. This months PSP purchase is Syphon filter for me, any reviews up for that yet?

overclocked said:
I already pointed you to a store that sells the white in a PM, so thats no excuse...
Yeah, I remember, but I want one with warranty HERE in THIS country, and a swedish wall wart for charging and such. Besides, it'll be more expensive buying an import unit...

Guden Oden said:
Yeah, I remember, but I want one with warranty HERE in THIS country, and a swedish wall wart for charging and such. Besides, it'll be more expensive buying an import unit...

Wasnt it 2600 or something, you just spoiled... :)
I saw they had a Gigapack of it also.

I would get it instantly, but I just preordered Syphon Filter, Daxter will have to wait till next month (I would have got it first but it's got no infrastructure).

Gamespot review

The Good: Gorgeous, simply gorgeous; outstanding sound and music; wonderful adaptation of the standard jak gameplay; a lot of things to do in the game, and reason to play through again.
The Bad: Some slight control and camera issues; still using the jak formula, for better or for worse.

score: 9.1
Gameplay 9
Graphics 10
Sound 10
Value 8
Tilt 9

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/daxter/review.html?sid=6146038
This game is getting great reviews. :D

Back