Dam the yorkfield and get Q6600 now !!

NonNative

Newcomer
From this news http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4789&Itemid=35

This is really stupid after couple months of waiting this,Intel decided to delay it.
I'm so tried of being wait forever.No more wait.

I want to buy a new PC now.

CPU Q6600 2.4GHz
MBAsus P5KR (P35 they said I cant do raid with SE version I need R)
Memory Corsair DDR2 4GB
GPU Galaxy GeForce 8800GTS G92 512MB
Monitor : HP 24" Widescreen Flat-Panel TFT-LCD HD Monitor w2408 1920*1200
HD WD Caviar GP 500GB x2
DVD ASUS DRW-2014BLT
Sound Blaster X-Fi Gamer
CoolerMaster CM 690
PSU Corsair CMPSU-520HX 520W

What do you think ?

Last edited by a moderator:
go for it
its a fine cpu
depends what youve got now and what type of programs you run i suppose
i know im going to regret this but what cpu are you using now - /me waits for nonnative to tell him he has a cpu that doesnt struggle with anything :D

maya supports multicore so id go for it it should be a huge boost
im not sure how memory hungry it is but if it needs a lot maybe you should look at the 64bit version

Because I couldnt find 2gb memory and I find out 8gb is something that really beyond my imagination lol.

Anyway I edited spec after I talked to vendor.

What about two sets of these? $165 after rebates isn't that bad. If you find you have too much of RAM just create a ramdisk and put your /tmp on it :)

I have no intension to overclock my pc thanks you. :)

Why not?Once you get the hang of it, it's immensely fun:). You start up with some small FSB bumps, then you get a bigger cooler, then you add some volts and after a while you're thinking how to build your very own phase-change unit:D.

Why not?Once you get the hang of it, it's immensely fun:). You start up with some small FSB bumps, then you get a bigger cooler, then you add some volts and after a while you're thinking how to build your very own phase-change unit:D.

Sounds to me like this will be a work PC. No one in their right mind overclocks a PC which they work on.

Sounds to me like this will be a work PC. No one in their right mind overclocks a PC which they work on.

You have quite the penchant for dealing in absolutes...God, is that you?Because, otherwise, you have some extra hot air to exhaust, my friend.

Even if it's watercooled?

Why would you water cool a work PC? I think we're missing a definition on "work" PC but nevertheless. There is no point to OC or water cool a PC you do nothing more than word processing and spread sheets on. However, if the work being done on such a PC goes out into over realms which demand more processing power, maybe.

Also, to the OP: I hope you're not considering RAID 0... it's a waste and certainly a major risk on a "work" PC, or any PC.

Why not ask IBM, Sun, Intel, or all the others who are using water cooling in data-centers?

Maybe my vision of work is different than someone who only performs basic secretarial tasks. When you say work pc, I envision doing actual work, like developing software, running VMs, compiling, and other cpu intensive tasks. As for my work PC, I water-cool my systems for quietness/silence.

As for RAID, I agree that RAID-0 presents no benefit and too much risk today. My single 7200RPM WD 750GB drive is faster than my 10K RPM 74GB Raptors in RAID-0.

You can't compare industrial solutions for servers and rack cooling to those used in traditional desktops. I know that your water cooling system is nothing like the ones those articles focus on.

It seems pretty ridiculous to me that you'd put your "actual work" under risk that can often arise from running hardware out of specification. For my gaming system where a error is not crucial, sure and all day long, but I don't want a calculation that is mission critical to arise simply because I thought I needed that extra 100 Mhz. Nor do I want to put it up against the risks involved in water cooling. Silence is also a bit of a joke, so often used in water cooling arguments. You have a pump, the fans on the radiator (which you will if you're OC'ing), the same fans in the PSU. A silent fan and heatsink combination is easily up to that "match." My personal gaming system is dead silent from 3 feet away and has a 1.86Ghz to 3.15Ghz OC on the CPU. Your's the same?

Funny how you can recommend O/C'ing a work PC but not RAID 0. To me they offer the same risk:benefit ratio.

Except RAID 0 basically NEVER has any benefit but in highly rare cases, yet OC'ing has extremely tangible differences. Therefore the risk to benefit ratio favors OC'ing by a extreme amount. I hate seeing people with RAID 0 setups because, and its especially annoying when they actually try to argue that there is a benefit when they do nothing that actually uses its advantages.

Except RAID 0 basically NEVER has any benefit but in highly rare cases, yet OC'ing has extremely tangible differences. Therefore the risk to benefit ratio favors OC'ing by a extreme amount. I hate seeing people with RAID 0 setups because, and its especially annoying when they actually try to argue that there is a benefit when they do nothing that actually uses its advantages.

RAID 0 is fine to use as long as you back up your critical data often.

I'm not sure how you can own a HDD and do nothing that uses its advantages, all you have to do is actually read or write to the drive and generally you'll see fairly significant performance benefits (in terms of read/write speed). If you mean notice the actual benefits, well yes there is the catch. How much does your drive performance matter in your overall system performance?

If you do video editing or handle a lot of data, RAID 0 is great, if you just play games use word, excel and surf, don't bother as it probably isn't worth the hassle if you have a failure.

Back