CPU-Problem

mwnnj

Newcomer
Hi,folks,
i have a silly but impotaint problem:
i have a compaq deskpro ep/sb 6350 series pc with a
compaq 041ch 440bx chipset(AGPSet FW82443BX,SL2T5),slot 1,fsb 100.
my cpu at this time is a pentium III Katmai 550Mhz sl3fj 512Kb/2V/30,8W/80°C/0,25 micron.
I want to upgrade to a better one like pentium III coppermine,gut possibilities should be:
800 Mhz: sl4by,sl4kf(sl457/sl3xr);
850Mhz : sl4kh;
866 MHz : sl47m;
900 MHz : sl4kk;
1000 MHz : sl4kl <===my choice !!!
I don't know however if these cpu's will run on my mobo;they are too expensive !
If i am sure one fo them ore some of them will be ok for my mobo then i'll play at the ebay!
I'm glad to read your competent advices!
kindest regards!

Thanks to you Joe ,

i was glad to read your answer,i accept your suggestion ,i will seek for the "original " ones from intel for my slot 1,but you have give really a clever and competent advice.
i found on ebay a slot1 to fcpga2 adapter from Powerleap with its own power supply,i think that will help for sure.I must wait a couple of days but i'm not in a hurry.
thanks a lot

mwnnj said:
Thanks to you Joe ,

i was glad to read your answer,i accept your suggestion ,i will seek for the "original " ones from intel for my slot 1,but you have give really a clever and competent advice.
i found on ebay a slot1 to fcpga2 adapter from Powerleap with its own power supply,i think that will help for sure.I must wait a couple of days but i'm not in a hurry.
thanks a lot

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. I'm currently have three intel 440bx machines at home running similar set-ups. I've been using the UpgradeSource" Slot-T adapters, but the Powerleap adapters are supposed to be good as well.

I would recommend that (if you haven't done so already) you upgrade your motherboard BIOS to the latest version, and make sure everything's working OK before you do the upgrade.

Also note that it's not uncommon for the BIOS to "mis-represent" the actual clock speed, as many were never inteded to actually run CPUs at these speeds. But you can use any of several utilities to verify the clock speed in Windows.

It will be a pleasure for me!

Thanks for the last advices,that's right i saw at the homepage of HP (the Compaq support) that there is a BIOS ROM from a newer date:08/22/99 and mine is 08/21/99 i can't remember if had updated to this ROM-pack(at top)...but at last: i receive(at this time) from AIDA32 - my pc(mobo) can run a faster cpu's up to 950MHz,and the Sisoft Sandra Std. SP1 2004 gives me an advice -my pc can run faster cpu's 950MHz+ ; my current BIOS is 686 T2 08/21/99.
So i am not sure how long will it take to make my upgrade,but when i have some results I'll post them and will discuss the results with you in your forum!

Thanks a lot!
Till later!

Back