Computer Resets During Gaming.

AirZoom

Newcomer
Hey Beyonders. I'm still new here but It's good to have a place to ask and get help.

I build myself a new rig a few months ago.

Asus P5N-EM Motherboard
E8400 3.00GHZ Core2Duo w/ Zalman CNPS7700 Heatsink Fan
Corsair XMS2 2x1GB 6400 DDR2-800
Sapphire 4850
Corsair TX 650W PSU
Antec Case w/ exhaust fan
2x500GB Sata HDD

I've had constant problems. First I was getting BSOD while gaming. I decided to format thinking it may have possible been a bad Windows XP install. Fresh install, I am not getting the BSOD anymore, instead just constant game freezes and computer resets. I run dual view, and keep FanSpeed and ATI CCC open to watch temps. The 8400 runs CPU temp hits a max of 48C under 100% load. while the cores average 50-55 each. The 4850 hits 61C max. Seems fairly hot, could this be the problem?

Windows XP Event Viewer is giving me a Event 102 error. And I sometimes get ATI VPU errors. I have a 2nd Patriot 2x1GB memory kit and the same error occurs. Both Ram kits were brand new and I don't think they are the problem. I've upated my bios, and run latest ATI drivers.

Any suggestions? Could my motherboard be faulty?
I just helped my dad built a similar rig, so I might be able to switch 4850's with him to see if mine is faulty. He is running my 2nd Patriot Kit though so no other ram to run.
PS: Game Freezes occur on FarCry2, Crysis, COD World At War & Dead Space.

Get a copy of Realtemp 2.79 and Intelburntest v1.8. Run Realtemp to see what temps your cores are really getting to, and run Intelburntest with at least 30 runs selected.

Mixing your memory types might be causing a problem, though it sounds like faulty ram might be the culprit. Doing the above should tell you if your ram/CPU is unstable under load.

Thanks for the help BZB.

I got RealTemp and ran 20 tests at maxium stress. Computer never reset and all 20 tests completed. Real temp shows Maxium Temperature @ 60C on both cores at the same time bank. So I guess my CPU is running stable. Any more suggestion?

Does Intelburntest test the ram?

Thanks for the help BZB.

I got RealTemp and ran 20 tests at maxium stress. Computer never reset and all 20 tests completed. Real temp shows Maxium Temperature @ 60C on both cores at the same time bank. So I guess my CPU is running stable. Any more suggestion?

Does Intelburntest test the ram?

Yes, depending how much of it you choose. Under XP, it's limited to testing 2 gig as that's the largest XP will assign to a single process. If you can get 20 tests with the same results then it's likely your RAM/CPU are stable

I'd next look at a PSU problem, though this is usually more troublesome that you describe. Have you got your drives and everything spread onto different rails rather than all plugged into the same PSU cable?

As you have another 4850 to swap out, it's worth testing with that to see if the problem goes away. This might be a faulty heatsink, overheating card, or a BIOS issue. When you are gaming, does one spot on your case get very hot? Are you overclocking or have changed any of the BIOS settings in the PC?

I just downloaded 2 versions of ATI Tool. Loading both of them resulted in computer freezing up. Very Strange.

Back