Compression/archive program

gfhr-

Newcomer
Hi,

I am desperately searching for a (single) program that can extract all most common archives (ZIP, RAR & 7z is critical) but is _must_ know to compress into RAR, 7z and ZIP. I really don't care about any other extentions as far as compressing goes.

I have tried numerous programs and found none (0) with these capabilities. The best I found was ZipZag (extracts over 180 extentions) and PowerArchiver (excellent 7z support).

If there is ANY utillity that can compress & extract to those three archives I am dying to know.

gfhr- said:
If there is ANY utillity that can compress & extract to those three archives I am dying to know.

Have you tried the 7-Zip file manager? :p

It's not the easiest to use utility (no drag and drop decompression unfortunately, at least in the version I use), but it's nice, fast, stable and supports millions of archive formats (almost). Filzip is nice too, has drag-and-drop, but it's a little bit bit buggy and slow in some cases. It tends to decompress certain archive formats (like RAR) to the windows temp folder and then copy them a second time to the correct destination, and archives with many files in em can't be dragged and dropped, the files decompress into /dev/null apparently, and I end up with an empty destination folder after a sometimes very lengthy unpacking operation. :p

i think winrar 3 is still a closed format, so no other archiver program can unrar it, unless if they bought the license or something
so, you'll still need to use more than 1 tools to make and extract all those archive files

Guden Oden: Yes, that 7-zip archiver is really messy. No drag & drop, what were they thinking... i still haven't found 1 program that could handle both, or compress to RAR for that matter (besides WinRAR).

Spaceman-Spiff said:
i think winrar 3 is still a closed format, so no other archiver program can unrar it, unless if they bought the license or something
so, you'll still need to use more than 1 tools to make and extract all those archive files

I believe that RARLAB provides source code for decompressing RAR files free of charge, and it can be used in any program for decompressing RAR files. So in theory any program can include a "unRAR" function for free, but compressing it will need a license.

Back