China's worst storm in decades arrives

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
http://tinyurl.com/jlx3z

BEIJING - The most powerful typhoon to hit China in five decades slammed into its southeastern coast Thursday, destroying hundreds of homes and battering the region with rain and wind after more than 1.3 million people were evacuated, state media reported. At least two people were killed.

Typhoon Saomai was the eighth major storm to strike China in this summer's unusually violent typhoon season. Torrential rains were forecast in the next three days as it churned inland across crowded areas where Tropical Storm Bilis killed more than 600 people last month.

Saomai, with winds up to 135 mph:oops: , made landfall at the town of Mazhan in coastal Zhejiang province at 5:25 p.m. and was moving northwest at 12 mph, the Xinhua News Agency said, citing weather officials.

Back in India also, those regions are getting flooded which rarely used to. What is happening?:oops:

http://tinyurl.com/jlx3z

BEIJING - The most powerful typhoon to hit China in five decades slammed into its southeastern coast Thursday, destroying hundreds of homes and battering the region with rain and wind after more than 1.3 million people were evacuated, state media reported. At least two people were killed.

Typhoon Saomai was the eighth major storm to strike China in this summer's unusually violent typhoon season. Torrential rains were forecast in the next three days as it churned inland across crowded areas where Tropical Storm Bilis killed more than 600 people last month.

Saomai, with winds up to 135 mph:oops: , made landfall at the town of Mazhan in coastal Zhejiang province at 5:25 p.m. and was moving northwest at 12 mph, the Xinhua News Agency said, citing weather officials.

Back in India also, those regions are getting flooded which rarely used to. What is happening?:oops:

Well for the USA they have down graded the number of hurrcianes estimated for this season so it seems that it might just be shifting than getting worse.

Global warming?
That's what they say. It supposedly creates instablitiy in the environment, making summer's hotter and winter's colder, before settleing down to a new equilibrium. Although where I live, winters are just more bizzare. I remember when I was young, the snow would come, melt and that was that. Last winter it came and went 3 times over the season.

That's what they say. It supposedly creates instablitiy in the environment, making summer's hotter and winter's colder, before settleing down to a new equilibrium. Although where I live, winters are just more bizzare. I remember when I was young, the snow would come, melt and that was that. Last winter it came and went 3 times over the season.

I guess that is what we should epect from now on, more extreme weather conditions. here in Sweden we have had like 30 degrees celsius for days in a row, that would never happen before, and as you say during the winter the snow comes and goes several times and it can still become cold like hell. Greenhouse effect ftw...

The winters here in Missouri have become increasingly more mild. It was rarely below -1C when I'm use to more around -10C on a regular basis and colder on a lot of days. It actually really sucks because I love winter usually. Now there's no snow hardly anymore and it doesnt get that cold. I miss winter. :(

I'm sad to here about such bad storms in China. Never a good thing.

I don't know why they called Saomai a "super-typhoon." It's a very normal typhoon where similar ones came across Taiwan every year. It's just that its path is a bit unusual (normally typhoons go north to Japan or Korea rather than directly into China), but it's not very strange or unprecendented.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060811/ap_on_re_as/asia_typhoon

BEIJING - The most powerful typhoon to hit China in a half century killed 104 people and left at least 190 missing Friday after it blacked out cities and smashed more than 50,000 houses in the southeast part of the country.

More than 1.6 million people were evacuated from the path of Typhoon Saomai before it struck late Thursday with winds gusting up to 170 mph, the official Xinhua News Agency said.

135MPH sustained winds at landfall?

That would be equal to a low-end Cat 4 hurricane here. Strong, but not crazy-strong.

A far cry from say, Hurricane Mitch which had sustained winds of 180 MPH. That doesn't mean I would want to hang out in it though.

I asked the question because when Saomai "hit" Taiwan (it didn't land) it was categoried as a "middle class" typhoon. It means a 10-minute sustained wind speed between 118kph ~ 183kph. So I don't really think it qualifies as a "super typhoon." AFAIK its strength weakened before it went into China.

Of course, the real killer of a tropical storm is water, not wind speed. Most deaths casued by typhoon in Taiwan is from mud-slides in mountain area.

Back