CEDIA 2006 Info Thread:

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
For 2 or 3 people that might care :)

Day 1:
Toshiba announces 2 new players to replace the current Gen.

HD-A2: $499
Same as the HD-A1 but sleeker design, faster load times but NO analog 5.1 outs.

HD-XA2: $999
1080P support. (still waiting on confirmation where it's true 1080P all the way through or 1080i internally scaled to 1080P like the current Samsung player)
HDMI 1.3 with deep color (you'll need a next gen deep color capable display though)
5.1 Analog outs

No major BD news on Day 1 but 2 strong rumors:

Panasonic player will be the same as Samsung in the sense that it'll take a 1080i signal and use an internal scaler to bump it to 1080P. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8433662&&#post8433662

Pioneer players delayed into 2007 due to Sony being upset and wanting their player made first. Pioneer is the OEM for the Sony standalone player.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8433637&&#post8433637

I expect BD players to be announced over the next few days along with new display panels. Will keep you all updated and add the spec pdf's for the new players.

Last edited by a moderator:
For 2 or 3 people that might care :)

Day 1:
Toshiba announces 2 new players to replace the current Gen.

HD-A2: $499
Same as the HD-A1 but sleeker design, faster load times but NO analog 5.1 outs.

HD-XA2: $999
1080P support. (still waiting on confirmation where it's true 1080P all the way through or 1080i internally scaled to 1080P like the current Samsung player)
HDMI 1.3 with deep color (you'll need a next gen deep color capable display though)
5.1 Analog outs

No major BD news on Day 1 but 2 strong rumors:

Panasonic player will be the same as Samsung in the sense that it'll take a 1080i signal and use an internal scaler to bump it to 1080P. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8433662&&#post8433662

Pioneer players delayed into 2007 due to Sony being upset and wanting their player made first. Pioneer is the OEM for the Sony standalone player.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8433637&&#post8433637

I expect BD players to be announced over the next few days along with new display panels. Will keep you all updated and add the spec pdf's for the new players.

Are you there? :) if so, can you check out some of the new projectors coming out? I'm mostly interested if they have lens shift on any of the <$3000 units coming out.

Thanks,
Nite_Hawk

Robert from VE confirmed that the XA2 will re-process 1080P the same way the Samsung does it.

Batman Begins and Polar Express will be released on HD DVD on October 10th and Black hawk Down is rumored for BD release on November 7th likely as a dual layer disc.

What is CEDIA? What does it encompass, who shows up, etc. Never heard of it before.

Keep the updates coming -- I'm curious!

Are you there? :) if so, can you check out some of the new projectors coming out? I'm mostly interested if they have lens shift on any of the <$3000 units coming out.

Are you talking about projectors in general, or DLP in particular? I'm asking, since most standard LCD home cinema projectors (e.g. Sanyo Z4, Pana AE900, Hitachi TX200 and the like, plus their respective predecessors) have had lens shift for some time now.
I know it's more difficult with DLPs, but as I have severe RBE problems, DLPs aren't of much interest to me...

Are you talking about projectors in general, or DLP in particular? I'm asking, since most standard LCD home cinema projectors (e.g. Sanyo Z4, Pana AE900, Hitachi TX200 and the like, plus their respective predecessors) have had lens shift for some time now.
I know it's more difficult with DLPs, but as I have severe RBE problems, DLPs aren't of much interest to me...

Well, both LCD and DLP really. Ultimately I'd like a 3 chip dlp, but that's going to be way over my budget. ;) I imagine I'll probably end up getting one of the new 720p LCD projectors in the $1k-$2k range. It sounds like they've improved native contrast and black levels some, which is the only thing that is really lacking with them right now. The benq w500 sounds interesting for $999.

Nite_Hawk

Back