Burning seawater..

pax

Newcomer
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/10/tech/main3246430.shtml

(AP) An Erie cancer researcher has found a way to burn salt water, a novel invention that is being touted by one chemist as the "most remarkable" water science discovery in a century.

John Kanzius happened upon the discovery accidentally when he tried to desalinate seawater with a radio-frequency generator he developed to treat cancer. He discovered that as long as the salt water was exposed to the radio frequencies it would burn.

The discovery has scientists excited by the prospect of using salt water, the most abundant resource on earth, as a fuel.

Rustum Roy, a Penn State University chemist, has held demonstrations at his State College lab to confirm his own observations.

The radio frequencies act to weaken the bonds between the elements that make up salt water, releasing the hydrogen, Roy said. Once ignited, the hydrogen will burn as long as it is exposed to the frequencies, he said.

Jackpot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume they're not claiming to get more neergy OUT of the system than they put in.

Because it seems to me to violate the laws of physics to process the exhaust of a burning chemical reaction into fuel without the processing requiring more power than what's derived from the combustion itself.

Btw. What knd of cancer can you treat with microwaves?
Peace.

PS: Seems to me these kind of fantastic "discoveries"/"inventions" are generally made by people that normally operate in a totally different field than the "discovery"/"invention" itself. One they generally don't have any knowledge of. Like in htis case in fact. :p

uh...you have to define the system for thermodynamic laws to be applied.
When you burn wood you get a net output of energy, no?
Ahh...but the system is the creation of the wood and drying of the wood too...

So what's this system?

I think this is a revolutionary as ceramics as super conductive material. Even if this isnt sufficiently efficient who knows what further research into this can develop. How much energy does it take to generate a radio signal? Id be happy with 1% more energy out than in in this case hhe... I mean theres so much seawater out there...

tsk tsk tsk what if a supervillian builds a huge device to burn the entire world's seawater and he demands 11 billion dollars or else.

uh...you have to define the system for thermodynamic laws to be applied.
When you burn wood you get a net output of energy, no?
Ahh...but the system is the creation of the wood and drying of the wood too...

So what's this system?

If whatever compound in sea-water acts as a catalyst, you can theoretically get more energy out that YOU personally put in. Of course, we're not talking about doing 'round trip', in that we convert sea water, and then throw the results of the equation away.

Perhaps the same that's treated with other radiation treatments?

I assume they're not claiming to get more neergy OUT of the system than they put in.

Because it seems to me to violate the laws of physics to process the exhaust of a burning chemical reaction into fuel without the processing requiring more power than what's derived from the combustion itself.

Peace.

PS: Seems to me these kind of fantastic "discoveries"/"inventions" are generally made by people that normally operate in a totally different field than the "discovery"/"invention" itself. One they generally don't have any knowledge of. Like in htis case in fact. :p

Uhm, what about nuclear fission/fusion bombs? ;)

So, basically he (re)discovered this? I'm guessing some property of the grape and the microwave causing electricity to flow between the halves, ionizing the air under the glass, heating the grapeskin bridge, igniting the hydrogen and leaving us with a hint of ozone? I can't remember when I first heard about this trick, but it was ages and ages ago.

The wiki page hints at one possiblity--as a replacement for the normal catalyst in a fuel cell: platinum. If it reduces costs, even at a loss of 24%, then it has a use as a way to transport energy with relatively low cost and loss.

The wiki page hints at one possiblity--as a replacement for the normal catalyst in a fuel cell: platinum. If it reduces costs, even at a loss of 24%, then it has a use as a way to transport energy with relatively low cost and loss.

Possibly, but please keep in mind that the page is full of innaccuracies and the very first link is to overunity silliness.

In particular:
"Now consider if they could eliminate platinum from fuel cells altogether while using salt water as a storage and fuel for hydrogen -- suddenly hydrogen fuel cell cars would be dramatically cheaper."

The energy comes from the huge-ass pile of batteries you have to tug along, not the water. Batteries are at best about 50 times less energy dense than petrol; that's the whole idea behind fuel cells, avoiding petrol and still having some range.

Possibly, but please keep in mind that the page is full of innaccuracies and the very first link is to overunity silliness.

In particular:
"Now consider if they could eliminate platinum from fuel cells altogether while using salt water as a storage and fuel for hydrogen -- suddenly hydrogen fuel cell cars would be dramatically cheaper."

The energy comes from the huge-ass pile of batteries you have to tug along, not the water. Batteries are at best about 50 times less energy dense than petrol; that's the whole idea behind fuel cells, avoiding petrol and still having some range.

Wouldn't the energy comes from the energy stored in the fuel cells, which is why they would be there? No batteries at all.

Wouldn't the energy comes from the energy stored in the fuel cells, which is why they would be there? No batteries at all.

Fuel cells don't store energy. They convert a fuel(usually hydrogen gas and atmospheric oxygen) into electricity.

The purpose of this is that hydrogen gas is more energy dense than batteries by quite a bit. But they are suggesting you bring along a tank of salt water instead and make your hydrogen. But salt water isn't the energy source for their process; you'll have to bring along all the energy you need in the form of giant bloody batteries to make the hydrogen.

1) huge battery + antenna and circuitry -> radio waves.

2) Radiowaves + salt water -> hydrogen gas

3) Hydrogen gas + fuel cell -> electricity.

4) Electric engine + electricity -> work.

What good did 1, 2 and 3 do besides waste energy?

Perpetuum Mobile FTW!

Wonderful piece of crap science reporting. Don't they have a science editor at CBS that know the laws of thermodynamics ?

Cheers

Fuel cells don't store energy. They convert a fuel(usually hydrogen gas and atmospheric oxygen) into electricity.

The purpose of this is that hydrogen gas is more energy dense than batteries by quite a bit. But they are suggesting you bring along a tank of salt water instead and make your hydrogen. But salt water isn't the energy source for their process; you'll have to bring along all the energy you need in the form of giant bloody batteries to make the hydrogen.

1) huge battery + antenna and circuitry -> radio waves.

2) Radiowaves + salt water -> hydrogen gas

3) Hydrogen gas + fuel cell -> electricity.

4) Electric engine + electricity -> work.

What good did 1, 2 and 3 do besides waste energy?
You're obviously assuming step 1 is where the energy of the system is coming from, and steps 2, 3 are simply drags on the system.

If, assuming that amount of energy to break apart the salt water is less than energy that comes out of the fuel cell, then its a win, as the basic 'storage' of your hydrogen is the water, rather than liquid hydrogen, as its more dense and easier to store.
No, the energy is the hydrogen in the salt water. The radio waves break it apart (and its not said that it takes more energy to separate the hydrogen and oxygen via

Back