Bubbles first real bug!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
When I installed my new hard drive yesterday I was sort of shocked at just how dusty my case had become, the 3 new pups increase the dust factor exponentially I reckon, so I took a bit of time pulling some stuff and cleaning it off....

I pulled the fan off my CPU heatsink and not only was there a 1/4" thick blanket of dust/cathair/doghair on it, but there was also a bloody dead moth in there! :oops:

It explains why I had to clock back from 2.7Ghz to 2.43, I'm really gonna have to clean out my system weekly now if I want to run at full speed. :oops:

My dad's cat would sleep right in front of the input fan on his PC. It was fuzzball nightmere in there! :LOL:

And how did the moth get in there? :oops:

I have a filter in the front of mine, but that just catches the dust and needs cleaning too. I keep a can of air duster around and every so often I blow out all filters and heatsinks. You just have to be careful not to spin the fans up way beyond their specs and end up with rattling bearings.

In an old job, we got an office machine back (it was a small Motorola tower server running Unix) when it was upgraded. I don't think it had ever been cleaned in 10 years, and the whole office were smokers. There was literally an inch of dust coating the whole inside of the computer. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
digitalwanderer said:
I pulled the fan off my CPU heatsink and not only was there a 1/4" thick blanket of dust/cathair/doghair on it, but there was also a bloody dead moth in there! :oops:

It explains why I had to clock back from 2.7Ghz to 2.43, I'm really gonna have to clean out my system weekly now if I want to run at full speed. :oops:

LOL! Really? A dead moth? Well, I once worked on my a clients system, he had a Passively cooled 9000 I think...pretty long fins on the cooler as well. What do I see on it? A dead ant caught in a spider web and enough dust to choke a horse.

*digs in his photos for a pic of it*

LVS

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
I have a filter in the front of mine, but that just catches the dust

Heh, I just read "caches" instead of "catches". But that might even make some sense ;)

LVSeminole said:
LOL! Really? A dead moth? Well, I once worked on my a clients system, he had a Passively cooled 9000 I think...pretty long fins on the cooler as well. What do I see on it? A dead ant caught in a spider web and enough dust to choke a horse.
I never had a spider web in there, and this is my first bug. It freaked me out a bit, it was really wedged in there between the fan/heatsink on the CPU and buried in a blanket of dust. :???:

She's running MUCH better after her cleaning, I think I'll be doing it weekly for a while.

Actually the least dust build-up I ever had with Bubbles was when I chopped a 10" boxside onto the side of her case and built a filter cover over it out of an old furnace filter.

A bit on the loud and windy side, but no dust accumulated.

This is one of those times where I really enjoy those clamps in cases these days for fans. Simply pop them and a fiter on, and pop off to clean. I keep my gaming rig clean as possible. Though 120mm filters are expensive, I think it helps a lot, I generally clean it once every two weeks, and my wfies rig once every month. Filters are a most have for me personally, its so much easier just cleaning those then a whole rig.

digitalwanderer said:
When I installed my new hard drive yesterday I was sort of shocked at just how dusty my case had become, the 3 new pups increase the dust factor exponentially I reckon, so I took a bit of time pulling some stuff and cleaning it off....

Well, homey, I always new you were old old skewl, but that's sampling the past masters there. . .

Back