Broadcom acquires IMG license via Netlogic

tangey

Veteran
I see broadcom announced that they are buying netlogic.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4226881/Broadcom-buys-NetLogic-communications

Netlogic has some IMG licences for "IP cores from Imagination’s POWERVR multimedia family."

This was announced in Oct last year, I don't think there has been any end product thus far.

http://www.imgtec.com/corporate/newsdetail.asp?NewsID=579

The wording of the licence announcement is vague, unsure whether it includes Graphics or just video. I wonder will this access to PowerVR tech result in broadcom taking a serious look at IMG's IP for a wider licensing/deployment ?

I couldn't figure this out from the October's press release, but is it possible that Broadcom could include some PowerVR IP (like PVRTC) into future VideoCore GPUs, without actually having to include an entire PowerVR GPU in future SoCs?

But I found no evidence of the purchase being related to graphics or video IP at all. It seems netlogic had been highlighted for their network processors so it could be just that.

I couldn't figure this out from the October's press release, but is it possible that Broadcom could include some PowerVR IP (like PVRTC) into future VideoCore GPUs, without actually having to include an entire PowerVR GPU in future SoCs?
Netlogic licensed IP *cores*, not patents. And that requires dedicated fixed-function hardware so it would take a long time for Broadcom to add it even if they wanted to.

Anyway a company the size of Broadcom must surely be evaluating Third Party GPU IP solutions from time to time. I doubt the purchase of a single company that licensed a small number of PowerVR cores would change anything. The real question is whether they want to extend their existing in-house GPU architecture to DX9/10/11. If I had to guess, I'd say they don't and long-term they'll just keep it for the low-end.

But I found no evidence of the purchase being related to graphics or video IP at all. It seems netlogic had been highlighted for their network processors so it could be just that.

I'd said its definitely not purchased because of the IMG stuff, which is tiny compared to the overall value. I'm suggesting that now having licencee level access to the I/P might provide them with a better insight than what they may have had as a potential licencee, speculative musings I agree. But they do now have the opportunity to use IMG I/P, where previously they did not.

That's all too vague for my taste, just as vague as netlogic having licensed multimedia IP. Besides PowerVR graphics, video and display IP, there's also Metagence GPP IP and Ensigma communications IP.

I've no idea what Netlogic could have licensed but the latter two sound to me like they'd make more sense for a company like Netlogic.

On the topic of the various multimedia IP from PowerVR, I'd love to see the results of their IEP core in action.

They have enough expertise from the VideoLogic days and have done enough work with image quality on the graphics and video sides that I figure their display tech could refine a TV's picture to a videophile's highest standards.

On the topic of the various multimedia IP from PowerVR, I'd love to see the results of their IEP core in action.

They have enough expertise from the VideoLogic days and have done enough work with image quality on the graphics and video sides that I figure their display tech could refine a TV's picture to a videophile's highest standards.

I know many of the last generation of Sony TVs had IMG I/P in them to enhance picture quality / do frame rate conversion. Not sure how the I/P was implemented but I think it was one of the NEC (Now renesas) Emma video chips. I do not know, but assume that Sony is still using IMG I/P in TVs. I still see a few TVs on their "wall of devices" page from their results. Dunno if it included the IEP.

http://www.imgtec.com/corporate/presentations/AGM11/index.asp?DisplayPage=8&#ViewTop

Back