Boot WinXP from Ethernet?

Ken2012

Newcomer
Is there any known way to create a diskless XP machine?

I've been prowling the web this morning over this, so far have only found solid information to boot Linux (and Unix) via Ethernet. So far it seems quite complicated aswell :(.

Thanks in advance, any information welcome.

EDIT: Failing the above, and I know this is somethimg I should know, but you do need seperate license keys to install an additional copy of Winnie on another system on a network, don't you (not to be confused with a network install, which I am aware of)?

oh the good old days of netware's sys:\bootconf.sys and configuring the network adapter's jumpers to enable the EPROM.

<a href="http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/">BartPE</a>'s Windows LiveCD should work, boot from CD and mount profile/whole system over the network.

It's customizable so you should be able to put it on a flash-card/usb-drive too.

There are also Windows File Sharing drivers for DOS so you could just use a floppy, but it'd still need a customized Windows afaik as I've had problems with (stock) Windows booting from anything not strictly a HD.

Not used BartPE myself, more than for a quick test, but I've heard good things about it.

Back