Blu-ray coming in November

If you're itching to cast an early vote on which next-generation optical disc format will ultimately triumph, you'll have your chance next month. AOpen, a Taiwanese PC and peripheral maker, plans to begin shipping Blu-ray drives for PCs in November. Just prepare to dig deep into your pockets: while AOpen has not yet revealed pricing, you can bet that it will cost a lot—bleeding-edge technology always does.

So it looks like the tables have turned - Blu-ray has the lead.

Waste of money. You can probably count the number of Blu-Ray titles on one hand :???:
By the time it has a decent size library, they will be much cheaper.

i remember buying a 2speed CDRW back many years ago for 500us$ ..
most probably you WILL pay trough your wallet bigtime

hey69 said:
i remember buying a 2speed CDRW back many years ago for 500us$ ..
most probably you WILL pay trough your wallet bigtime

I remember my dad getting the first CD Writer by philips back many, many years ago for something around what 4000 Euros would be today. (i'm pretty sure it was one of the first sold in italy).
1x writing speed, and 2x reading, writable cds were sold for something like 50€.
I think it's still somewhere around the office, it was pretty big and heavy.

As Black Dragon said bleeding-edge technology always cost a lot!

Why would any sane person buy a BR burner next month for hundreds of dollars? You either buy it to watch BR movies and or for storage. For storage a DVD burner is dirt cheap not to mention 8.5GB DL media is only about $3 per disc now. For movies you won't be able to watch them until much later next year when the compliant video output devices are available...ie HDCP compliant displays and computer operating systems ie Vista.

It doesn't even say anything about the capabilities of the drive. Will it be able to play BD-ROM? or is it just going to be a writer/re-writer like the Japanese home Blu-ray machines.

Back