Bionic Commando Rearmed (PS3/XBLA)

Oninotsume

Newcomer
Hi,

I just downloaded Bionic Commando Rearmed from the Japanese PSN store.

I have to say that it's just F'n awesome!!

The graphics and animation are top notch, and the soundtrack is an ultra-cool mix of the original game music and techno/house the really kicks in that bass.

They implemented a great deal of winks at the original, but in a very stylized way that is sure to satisfy the tastes of modern day gamers as well. Some examples are a quazi-3D twist on the original mission map, humorous tounge-in-cheek dialog, and homages to bygone Capcom games plastered on the walls as posters.

The co-op is also done really nice with a slick on-the-fly split screen that will split the screen either horizontally or vertically depending on the position of the players in relation to one another.

I highly, highly recommend this download. It could have sold for a great deal more, but at it's going price, it's nothing but a bargain.

Oninotsume

Last edited by a moderator:
Started playing it as well. Pretty impressed so far with the audio/visuals. Especially the audio. And the menus are very slick as well.

But this game is damn hard! The controls are soooo last gen almost to the point of a joke. Maybe eventually it will start feeling more natural. But if it was not for the fact this was a "retro remake" the controls for this game would be mocked to hell and back. But I can see how it can be addicting once you get the hang of it. Perfecting your moves and competing on the leader boards and such.

I guess I am just suprised how hardcore and truely retro it is gameplay wise. Very hardcore game.

I'm planning on downloading this as soon as I am able; the first game was one of my favorites of all time, and this has been one of my most anticipated game releases all year. Oninotsume, can you tell me if there are still those bonus stages associated with the trucks? I've been wondering if (and hoping) those would be preserved.

I'm planning on downloading this as soon as I am able; the first game was one of my favorites of all time, and this has been one of my most anticipated game releases all year. Oninotsume, can you tell me if there are still those bonus stages associated with the trucks? I've been wondering if (and hoping) those would be preserved.

There are these "random encounters" when you are on the world map and you get thrown into a short level that is top down isometric. And you fight some men and trucks if that is what you mean.

There are these "random encounters" when you are on the world map and you get thrown into a short level that is top down isometric. And you fight some men and trucks if that is what you mean.

Yeah that's what I mean, awesome. But they aren't fully random if they're like the original game; you should be able to see trucks/convoys moving around on the main map, and you would only have one of these encounters when your next mission has you intercepting one of these convoys on your way to it.

Yes, the encounters with the trucks only occur when your helicopter crosses their path on the map.

Yesterday, when I first got it, a co-worker and I played co-op on Easy, but I have to say that I highly recommend Medium. Medium is quite difficult, but various sections, and even boss patterns are taken out of easy, so you won't be getting to the meat of the game unless you take the hard road.

Again, I have to say the design is just slick, and the text conversations are hillarious.

I also tried out the Remote Play in bed last night. The response was a little off, but once I got used to it, it was surprisingly playable.

In total I've purchased three games (The Last Guy, Eden, Bionic Commando) from the PSN this month... That has to be a record.

Oninotsume

In total I've purchased three games (The Last Guy, Eden, Bionic Commando) from the PSN this month... That has to be a record.

Oninotsume

Ya me too. And the best part is I only spent 2500 yen for all three games combined!! It's practically stealing.

It makes the ~7000 yen or so that I spent on SC4 seem like a total rip off.

Started playing it as well. Pretty impressed so far with the audio/visuals. Especially the audio. And the menus are very slick as well.

But this game is damn hard! The controls are soooo last gen almost to the point of a joke. Maybe eventually it will start feeling more natural. But if it was not for the fact this was a "retro remake" the controls for this game would be mocked to hell and back. But I can see how it can be addicting once you get the hang of it. Perfecting your moves and competing on the leader boards and such.

I guess I am just suprised how hardcore and truely retro it is gameplay wise. Very hardcore game.
I agree with these comments. I was expecting this to be something else, but the "Training" missions were painful. I'll dive back in on the weekend and spend some more time with it, but it's interesting to see just how much times have changed in terms of expectations of games being more forgiving and natural.

The controls are soooo last gen

Don't you mean the controls are so last, last, last, last gen?;)

It is hardcore, but it's easier than the original. In the original you could
die just for bumping into some enemies!

This game is amazing for the money. Its a much better deal than Braid is . Man 800 points is amazing.

Hey, it has remote play? Nice, I hadn't heard about it. No idea whether I like this, but always good to hear at least some people do. ;)

Well, I finally got to download and start playing. Wow.

I haven't gotten far yet but these are some observations:

Oninotsume I sort of disagree with post #9, I think the original was easier... in a sense. Maybe for new players this one is indeed easier (I know you're not yourself new). But to me the arm/swinging dynamics are altered to a degree that I find myself always doing something other than I want. I felt the first game had cleaner arm dynamics - you shouldn't let go of an object without pressing a button (which you do in this game), and hit detection could be a little better. I would also like if they had it like in the old one where when you 'arm' an enemy, they get pushed back.

Anyway the FSA camps were formerly neutral zones where if you accidentally (or purposely) fired, the entire place would erupt into a firefight. I sort of miss that. I also prefer the old radio frequency dynamic vs the hacking mini-game dynamic.

The dialog is definitely grade A kick-ass though, and the music and general remake quality is through the roof.

And... I'm not sure if anyone else has picked up on this, as it's another old school reference... but with the helicopter isometric battles... has anyone here played Commando? It *is* Commando, from the trucks pouring soldiers out on the sides, to the music itself - it's the Commando music! Now, I loved Commando, so it's just another awesome awesome... easter egg almost. But I'm like, what's going on here? I mean I see where they were going in taking the old isometric Bionic Commando battles to their logical extreme and taking it all the way to another game from a bygone age, but... I was pretty surprised!

Back