Best TV show EVER?

andypski said:
Yes Minister. (For UK based types - I doubt if it was that widely exported)

Australia got it. Good stuff.

Big thumbs up to Blake's 7, as raised elsewhere in the thread.

And Simon, yep I do remember the first season of Blackadder being a bit flat - though I must say I recall having a few good laugh's at Brian Blessed's superb overacting.

The second season was my favourite - loved Queeny and Lord Melchet. Third was quite good too, but can't say I got much from the fourth.

My preferences tend towards sci-fi, which is a lost cause for this thread since most sf is so stupid that it insults the audience.

I have vague yet fond memories of Blake"s 7 from way back in the '80s... the PBS station out of Fargo, ND aired it late on Friday or Saturday nights. Missed out on Red Dwarf, but we did get Dr. Who. Not that I'd consider Dr. Who among the best series ever...

I was really into the whole Star Trek thing until the high quality of Bablyon 5 showed what a bunch of crap Star Trek was and, unfortunately, still is. :cry:

I decided some years ago that every sitcom ever is a total waste... perhaps that judgement was too harsh. But the only sitcom I go out of my way to see is "The Simpsons" and that's only once a year for the Halloween episode.

One thing I've noticed a lot: broadband internet and pc gaming have taken a huge bite out of my tv viewing time. I watch TV, but there's nothing I go out of my way to see regularly.

andypski said:
I forgot that one and its follow-up, Yes, Prime Minister. Excellent stuff and possibly the best theme tune ever (anyone know if it is available for download?).

Squeak said:
andypski said:
I forgot that one and its follow-up, Yes, Prime Minister. Excellent stuff
And a truly excellent education in how Government "works".

I'd also like to put a vote in for "Blue Planet" or perhaps the older "Life on Earth".

ZoinKs! said:
but we did get Dr. Who. Not that I'd consider Dr. Who among the best series ever...
But did you ever spend time cowering behind the sofa when the Drashigs escaped from the "carnival of monsters"?

I guess Simpsons is the best ever for me, as it's still running.
Past shows... maybe x-files. I mostly watch scifi, fantasy, adventure stuff. Drama series don't interest me much, except shows like "Six Feet Under", "Queer as Folk (UK version)" and such (maybe just because they have gay characters ;) ). Also I quite like british sitcom comedy: Absolutely Fabulous, Coupling (I hope they re-run, I missed it almost totally on previous run(s). Of US sitcoms I've recently watched only Friends and W&G.

I was watching Buffy a couple of years ago, but then they changed the showtime to something that I tended to always miss. This left me with a gap of a season plus some episodes. Now it is airing on sunday evenings, and I've started to watch it again. This is one series I've considered buying on DVD to see the episodes I missed in between.

I'm not a huge fan of any series, I don't yet own any episodes on DVD.

I'm really much of a TV-series type. There's maybe two or three series I follow at one time, and from them maybe one I try not to miss.
But maybe that's just telling more of the quality of series running on finnish TV network than anyhting.
Still, there are many series I'd like to follow, or would have liked to folow, but only manage to see them occasionally. Like "Freescape", "Alias", "Firefly"(not running here anymore, missed a couple of episodes), Sopranos, Angel...

I'm looking forward that they'd show "The Lost" here soon, that might become my next "must see series".

Edit: Oh, and of course "Sex and The City" (I'm Charlotte :LOL: )

US does get some top UK shows. I grew up watching Dr Who, Blake's 7, also got Blackadder, Yes, Minister, Yes PrimeMinister, Faulty Towers, Keeping up Appearances, The Prisoner, The Tripods, Red Dwarf, and others. (oh, almost forgot The Avengers)

Mostly shown on PBS stations from 70s-90s until BBC America started up.

andypski said:

Us in Sweden get a fair portion of UK programming, actually most of it I'd think(a wild guess). Even crud like Emmerdale Farm and Heartbeat and the like. We've been largely spared of Coronation Street and Eastenders, thankfully. ;)

Strangely enough we also get a surprising amount of canadian and aussie(!) programming. I think "Prisoner" is in it's fifth re-run or something, LOL! That CAN'T have been exported anywhere but Sweden. :LOL:

MPI said:
Strangely enough we also get a surprising amount of canadian and aussie(!) programming. I think "Prisoner" is in it's fifth re-run or something, LOL! That CAN'T have been exported anywhere but Sweden. :LOL:

Are you talking about the Australian program Prisoner (also known as Cell Block H ) or the UK program, The Prisoner.

BIG difference. :D

The aussie one. According to wikipedia they changed it to "Prisoner: cell block H" in the UK, just to avoid the confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner_Cell_Block_H

Check this out:
The show has a cult following in Sweden, where it has been shown on TV4 for many years. An in-official fan club organizes an annual get-together, and also gathered several thousand signatures (including that of Elspeth Ballantyne) to convince TV4 to continue airing the show in 2000.

Funny thing is; a brother of one of my friends is a member... LOL! :D

MPI said:
The aussie one. According to wikipedia they changed it to "Prisoner: cell block H" in the UK, just to avoid the confusion.
Exporting that soap from Aus' while leaving some really good programs** is just criminal..... then again, maybe it's the same policy that's applied to "Fosters" beer. 8)

**e.g. "The Money or the Gun". It was quite funny but also was known for featuring a different band every week... except they were only allowed to play "Stairway to Heaven". :D There were some truly classic versions.

sytaylor said:
drspangle said:
no one else likes Scrubs?

Yeah its just not the best ever, its there with candy, its always nice but its never going to out do a steak.

I just found it the only show to actually ever make me laugh, not stupid contrived sticom crap where you`ve seen it all before :).

no offence if you like that kinda thing :LOL:

Back