Best Spyware/Virus *recovery* suite???

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
Hey gang.
My sister's computer is completely hosed with ad/spyware. No clue if there are viruses too. Popups everywhere. They have dial-up and they're a good 2 hour drive away. I walked them through the free version of Lavasoft's Adaware-SE cleaner thing but that doesn't seem to do it.

Anyone have any ideas for software that will get me out of 4 hours in the car and a possible reformat?

Thanks!

Adaware and Spbot S&D are my favourite.

If her PC is totally riddled with spyware and viruses, chances are there are enough libraries and executables that have been corrupted or cannot be disinfected that it will need complete reinstalling.

This actually happened to my sister's PC a while back, and even after all the virus and spyware was cleaned off, they were not left with a functional OS and it had to be formatted and reinstalled. Luckily they have a brand name PC that means you can reinstall the OS to new with the manufacturer's install discs in about 30 mins.

hitmanpro.nl

But it's Dutch. Try it out anyway, just press "ok", "yes", "ja", "continue", "doorgaan", whenever asked. You know how it works.

It automates a bunch of other stuff for you. Just fire it up, walk away and have a look when it's done.

I use Spybot and Spyware Doctor...they are the best working together IMO. And they are quite up to date as they seem to be releasing updates almost every other day! Especially Spyware doctor.

depends what she managed to "collect".....
if its really bad, i would recommend formatting and then setting her comp with security in mind....

no IE, no outlook express, good AV and firewall and that should do it...

Well, Hitmanpro includes (among other things):

Ad-Aware SE (6.2)
Spy Sweeper 3
Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3
CWShredder 2.15
SpywareBlaster 3.3
Spyware Block List
Sysclean Package (virusscanner)

It's mostly a package that installs a whole bunch of stuff and macros all of it. I think it is the best package for the job. Just fire it up and let it rip. Here in the Netherlands, just about anyone uses this if they want to clean a PC.

Thanks folks...I'll have them try something...it sounds really bad ("can't use anything it's so slow") and Lavasoft won't clean it up enough apparently. I should have set it up more securely (Dell with AOL) in the first place.

DiGuru said:
hitmanpro.nl

But it's Dutch. Try it out anyway, just press "ok", "yes", "ja", "continue", "doorgaan", whenever asked. You know how it works.

It automates a bunch of other stuff for you. Just fire it up, walk away and have a look when it's done.

Must one be online for this???

They have dial up AOL and it's SLOW.

Mize said:
DiGuru said:
hitmanpro.nl

Must one be online for this???

They have dial up AOL and it's SLOW.

It will look for updates, so you might want to download it just before you go and use it, but it handles slow (or no) internet connections very gracefully and will just break off the download and continue if it would take too long to finish. So it will take at most about ten minutes trying to get updates in all, before just running the stuff that is present.

Hm. I just downloaded the latest version of hitmanpro, and it seems they've had some legal issues with the producers of some of the other tools. They are now downloaded separately, and you have to click the "I accept" button on the EULA's. So it isn't useful anymore for slow connections.

I should have checked before posting, and not assuming it would still be the same as a few months ago.

Sorry!

Back