Avalon Preview requires DX9 card, like a GF4!

Richard

Mord's imaginary friend
Veteran
It's a preview with bits and pieces of code, they're mainly seeking feedback from developers.
We'll see what the actual requirements are in a few years... ;)

Mordenkainen said:
ANYWAY... wasn't full memory virtualization a requirement for avalon?

I don't remember that being the case for Avalon, being the development environment for the 3D interface. It is part of the spec for WGF / D3D10.0 at the moment, AKAIK.

DaveBaumann said:
I don't remember that being the case for Avalon, being the development environment for the 3D interface. It is part of the spec for WGF / D3D10.0 at the moment, AKAIK.

Yes, but avalon is/will be built upon WGF (at least in longhorn). If this XP/2003 avalon preview doesn't require virtualization how would developers know their app would work on both XP and Longhorn?

Or more importantly, if I run a winfx app using this preview in XP and concurrently run HL2, the game going to detect less video ram than I actually have, right?

I know this is just the second preview but with microsoft standing firm on their Feb 2005 Longhorn beta 1 I assumed this one would require virtualization.

Magnum PI said:
isn't geforce 4 a directx8-class card ?

Of course, but someone forgot to tell microsoft. ;)

Yes, but avalon is/will be built upon WGF (at least in longhorn).

It'll be more based on DX9 capabilities, rather than WGL. At one point the graphics API requirements for it were called "DX9L".

If this XP/2003 avalon preview doesn't require virtualization how would developers know their app would work on both XP and Longhorn?

This is for desktop apps that make use of the 3D interface, and Virtualisation isn't a requirement there; virtualisation is a requirement for WGF, but that for games (and other heavy duty 3D apps).

Magnum PI said:
A Geforce 4 is still a "DirectX 9 capable graphics card". It doesn't say anything about requiring support for features that are new in DirectX 9. It does support the minimum specifications to use the DirectX 9 runtime. I also doubt Avalon actually requires more. It's just about uniformity of the API, I think.

Then again, it might just have been a typo. ;)

Its almost certainly a typo. Last specifications I knew of was PS2.0 was a requirement for any of the Avalon interface levels (Aero, Aero Glass) and hardware VS2.0 was recommended for Aero Glass and up (evidently there is now a 3rd layer).

Nick said:
Magnum PI said:
A Geforce 4 is still a "DirectX 9 capable graphics card". It doesn't say anything about requiring support for features that are new in DirectX 9. It does support the minimum specifications to use the DirectX 9 runtime. I also doubt Avalon actually requires more. It's just about uniformity of the API, I think.

Then again, it might just have been a typo. ;)

A Geforce 4 is still a "DirectX 9 capable graphics card".

Is it possible you mean that a GF4 card will work if you have DX9 software installed?

Back