Athlon or Pentium?

Which PC system is better?

• Total voters
Ok,we take P4 3.2GHz and hang a Voodoo3 on it.
Then we take Athlon64 3200+ and use GeForce 6800 Ultra

Which system is better? Whats the point of this poll except another flame war?

RejZoR said:
Ok,we take P4 3.2GHz and hang a Voodoo3 on it.
Then we take Athlon64 3200+ and use GeForce 6800 Ultra

Which system is better? Whats the point of this poll except another flame war?

So, let's say a Pentium 3.2 with GF6800 Ultra versus Athlon 3200 with GF6800 Ultra.

At the moment, I'm fully supportive of AMD products.

They seem to beat the pants off of Intel products in the areas i'm interested in.

grecco_julio said:
Do you prefer HT + 32 bit or Non HT 64 bit and cheaper mobo's?
I wouldn't care too much about 64 bits yet, but after the p4 northwood, the only one that matters is the athlon64.

I thought this was one of those rare things people agree on.... :D

BTW, just to lighten things up, I am the proud owner of a noisy p4 3.2 HT laptop. :D

1. This has absolutely nothing to do with 3D hardware or their drivers (if, indeed, it has anything to do with anything).

2. I was hoping the question would have been which name people preferred. Alas, it seems to be some weird attempt at sizing them up. "Which is better: green or orange?" would have been a better question. (But I think it would have to be in "General Discussion" as opposed to "Hardware")

wireframe said:
"Which is better: green or orange?" would have been a better question.
I'll just answer that one: I hate green, and the room I'm sitting in has orange walls - Orange! 8)

I have owned both... and have a long history of bouncing back and forth between the two depending on the needs of the system and who is leading at the price point I am looking at + upgrade path. I currently have a P4 (two years old, 2.533GHz overclocked to 2.85), but for what I and my friends normally do I have been recommending AMD64s. They are just a better chip all around in most areas and have great bang for the buck. But as always that can change. Of course what you do with your PC makes a big difference... very rarely is there an absolute answer at all price points and tasks. No doubt the AMD64 is flexing its muscle at this time.

Back