Assassin's Creed is Sci-Fi?

Miksu

Regular
So says Kristen Bell, one of the actresses in Assassin's Creed:

MORE SPOILERS AHEAD:

It's called Assassin's Creed. You can check it out at assassinscreed.com. It's actually really interesting to me. It's sort of based on the research that's sort of happening now, about the fact that your genes might be able to hold memory. And you could argue semantics and say it's instinct, but how does a baby bird know to eat a worm, as opposed to a cockroach, if its parents don't show it? And it's about this science company trying to, Matrix-style, go into peoples brains and find out an ancestor who used to be an assassin, and sort of locate who that person is. It's very, very cool, and I've seen all the graphics for it. We just recorded all the dialogue and did all the face scans and body scans, and I'm really excited about it.
Kinda an interesting twist. Please delete, if this is old news :)

Last edited by a moderator:
SPOLIERS!!!

This was hinted at before but I think it was supposed to be a secret. And some actress ruins it by telling everything! In the original e3 demo, after the assassin character dies the screen blanks out and you wake up on a hospital or laboratory table.

I don't think Ubisoft is going to be too happy about this. Didn't they make her sign an NDA or something?

We essentially knew all this. I very much doubt there'll be any sci-fi gameplay. The game is meant to be part of a trilogy, so maybe the later installments will involve Sci-fi settings..

I don't know how to feel about this:???: I follow gaming news pretty closely and had never heard about any sci-fi. Maybe UbiSoft was going to release this information soon, since I doubt an actress - no matter how ditzy - would ever risk damaging a product in this blunt of a way. If it is the case that she was dumb/crazy enough to spoil what would have been a shocking storyline turn then Ubisoft should bukkake this person.:devilish:

If you can find it, look for the AC presentation at X06. The guy dies at the end and a weird, spacey UI comes up which Jade Raymond cannot comment on. Same thing happened at E3, as I recall.

SPOLIERS!!!

This was hinted at before but I think it was supposed to be a secret. And some actress ruins it by telling everything! In the original e3 demo, after the assassin character dies the screen blanks out and you wake up on a hospital or laboratory table.

STUPIDEST

IDEA

EVER.

Thank you Ubi for ruining a great concept. No really, thank you.

I don't know how to feel about this:???: I follow gaming news pretty closely and had never heard about any sci-fi. Maybe UbiSoft was going to release this information soon, since I doubt an actress - no matter how ditzy - would ever risk damaging a product in this blunt of a way. If it is the case that she was dumb/crazy enough to spoil what would have been a shocking storyline turn then Ubisoft should bukkake this person.:devilish:

Must not be following it that closely :p, the Gamespot hands on at E3 alluded to this, and the presentation at X06 which (was the first time we'd ever seen the game played in realtime) showed the character dying and waking up in a labratory.

Even Gameinformer's first indepth preview alluded to the fact that you were actually viewing actions through the eyes of an ancestor.

I do agree with you though, that this would be an excellent twist to reserve for the game. But since you're shown it every time you die, I'm thinking that the initial story must set this up right away at the beginning of the game.

Thank you Ubi for ruining a great concept. No really, thank you.

Does it really matter? You are simply viewing history thrugh the eys of an ancestor, using virtual reality. The gameplay will be 99% the same as a conventional approach, yet it opens the door for a really cool storyline, or rather a story within a story.

Must not be following it that closely :p, the Gamespot hands on at E3 alluded to this, and the presentation at X06 which (was the first time we'd ever seen the game played in realtime) showed the character dying and waking up in a labratory.

Even Gameinformer's first indepth preview alluded to the fact that you were actually viewing actions through the eyes of an ancestor.

I do agree with you though, that this would be an excellent twist to reserve for the game. But since you're shown it every time you die, I'm thinking that the initial story must set this up right away at the beginning of the game.

Yeeeesh:oops: I thought I was following things more closely, but in this case I was way off. I'm still disappointed that they let that idiot talk. Her show is more bukakke than she.;)

Does it really matter? You are simply viewing history thrugh the eys of an ancestor, using virtual reality. The gameplay will be 99% the same as a conventional approach, yet it opens the door for a really cool storyline, or rather a story within a story.

Yes, actually it does. This then introduces a ridiculous angle, dispelling all chances of whatever realism it could have possibly retained. Why not just make it a time piece is a better question. It's done probably 50% of the time with other games.

Why not innovate?

Until you see it in action, and see what the whole story involves, you really can't judge.

Of course I can! What drew me into this concept intially was an artricle i read in an EGM. It was emphasizing how the series of events portrayed in this game were basically based on true events, albeit the characters were fictional. I would rather it be a period piece, than the integration of two completely different times, like what Dreamfall did, which was rather obnoxious. It like switching between skiing and snowboard in a rapid succession.

Of course I can! What drew me into this concept intially was an artricle i read in an EGM. It was emphasizing how the series of events portrayed in this game were basically based on true events, albeit the characters were fictional. I would rather it be a period piece, than the integration of two completely different times, like what Dreamfall did, which was rather obnoxious. It like switching between skiing and snowboard in a rapid succession.

All of that can still be true. It is still a period piece, it still has the same core story, it's still based on the book 'Alamut' and tells the story of a historical clan that existed during the crusades.

There's just another level of abstraction added. You'd already be playing a virtual character who is set in the past, now you're playing a character who's playing a character, who's set in the past. Same diff.

Anyways, I thought some people might enjoy reading the overview of the book which inspired the game:
The novel is situated in the 11th century at the fortress of Alamut, which was seized by the leader of the Ismaelits, Hassan ibn Sabbah or Seiduna (Our Lord). At the start of the story, he is gathering an army for the purpose of attacking the Seljuk Empire, which has taken over possession of Iran. The story commences with the journey of young ibn Tahir, who is, according to his family's wish, intending to join the Alamut garrison. There, he is appointed to the squad of the most valiant soldiers, named the fedai. Fedai are expected to obey orders without any demur, death being not an obstacle. During their demanding training, they come to be convinced that they shall go to heaven immediately after their death, if they die in the line of duty. Hassan managed to achieve such level of obedience by deceiving his soldiers - he gave them drugs (hashish) to numb them and ordered afterwards that they be carried into the gardens behind the fortress, which were made into a simulacrum of heaven, including houris. Therefore, fedai believe that Allah had given Hassan the power to send anybody into the Heaven for a certain period. Moreover, some of the fedai fall in love with houris and Hassan unscrupulously uses that to his advantage.

Meanwhile, the Seljuk army besieges Alamut. Some of the soldiers are captured and Hassan decides to demonstrate his power to them. He orders one fedai to jump off of a tower; he fulfills his master's order with a smile on his face, thinking that he will soon rejoice at his beloved in heaven. Afterwards, Hassan orders ibn Tahir to go and kill the grand vizier of the Seljuk sultan Nizam al-Mulk. Hassan wants to take vengeance for al-Mulk's treachery against him long ago. Ibn Tahir stabs the vizier, but, before he passes away, the vizier reveals the truth of Hassan's deceptions to his murderer. Ibn Tahir decides to return to Alamut and kill Hassan. When ibn Tahir returns, Hassan receives him and also reveals him his true motto: nothing is real, everything is allowed. Then, he lets ibn Tahir go, to start a long journey around the world. Another fedai kills the Seljuk Sultan and the Seljuk empire dissolves. The fight for the Seljuk throne begins. Hassan encloses himself in a tower, determined to work until the end of his days. He transfers the power over the Ismaelits to the hands of his faithful dai, military and religious chiefs.

And some backstory on the Hashshashin the assassin's that thegame is based on:
The Hashshashin (also Hashishin, Hashashiyyin or Assassins) was a religious sect (often referred to as a cult) of Ismaili Muslims from the Nizari sub-sect. They had a militant basis which was employed in various political or religious purposes. They were thought to be active in the 8th to 14th centuries. This mystic secret society specialized in terrorising the Abbasid elite with fearlessly executed, politically motivated assassinations. The word "assassin" is derived from their name. Their own name for the sect was al-da'wa al-jadīda (الدعوةالجديدة) which means the new doctrine. They called themselves fedayeen from the Arabic fidā'ī, which means one who is ready to sacrifice their life for a cause.

Their Muslim contemporaries were extremely suspicious of them; in fact they were described using the terms Batini. The term was used pejoratively to refer to those, especially Ismaili, who distinguished an inner, esoteric level of meaning (batin) in the Qur'an. This constant religious estrangement would eventually see them go so far as allying with the Occidental Christians against Muslims on a number of occasions. Their connections to mainstream Islam were tangential at best.

Legends abound as to the tactics used to induct members into what became a quasi-religious political organization. A future assassin was subjected to rites similar to those of other mystery cults in which the subject was made to believe that he was in imminent danger of death. But the twist of the assassins was that they drugged the person to simulate a "dying" to later have them awaken in a garden flowing with wine and served a sumptuous feast by virgins. The supplicant was then convinced he was in Heaven and that the cult's leader, Hassan-i-Sabah, was a representative of the divinity and that all of his orders should be followed, even unto death. This legend derives from Marco Polo, who visited Alamut after it fell to the Mongols in the thirteenth century.

Other accounts of the cult's indoctrination attest that the future assassins were brought to Alamut at a young age and, while they matured, inhabited the aforementioned paradisaic gardens and were kept drugged with hashish; as in the previous version, Hassan-i-Sabah occupied this garden as a divine emissary. At a certain point (when their initiation could be said to have begun) the drug was withdrawn from them, and they were removed from the gardens and flung into a dungeon. There they were informed that, if they wished to return to the paradise they had so recently enjoyed it would be at Sabbah's discretion, and that they must therefore follow his directions exactly, up to and including murder and self-sacrifice.

The group transformed the act of murder into a system directed largely against Seljuk Muslim rulers who had been persecuting their sect. They were meticulous in killing the targeted individual, seeking to do so without any additional casualties and innocent loss of life, although they were careful to cultivate their terrifying reputation by slaying their victims in public, often in mosques. Typically they approached using a disguise; their weapon of choice was a dagger, rejecting poison, bows and other weapons that allowed the attacker to escape. For unarmed combat, the Hashshashin practiced a fighting style called Janna which incorporates striking techniques, grappling and low kicks. However, under no circumstances did they commit suicide, preferring to be killed by their captors.

There are also, possibly apocryphal, stories that they used their well-known deadliness for political goals without necessarily killing. For example, a victim, usually high-placed, might one morning find a Hashshashin dagger lying on their pillow upon awakening. This was a plain hint to the targeted individual that he was safe nowhere, that maybe even his inner group of servants had been infiltrated by the cult, and that whatever course of action had brought him into conflict with them would have to be stopped if he wanted to live.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of that can still be true. It is still a period piece, it still has the same core story, it's still based on the book 'Alamut' and tells the story of a historical clan that existed during the crusades.

There's just another level of abstraction added. You'd already be playing a virtual character who is set in the past, now you're playing a character who's playing a character, who's set in the past. Same diff.

Anyways, I thought some people might enjoy reading the overview of the book which inspired the game:

And some backstory on the Hashshashin the assassin's that thegame is based on:

Thank you for the links, thats a great read. I'm not saying that the game is ruined, certainly not. I just don't like the integration of the entire sci fi aspect.

Thanks Scooby, very interesting stuff. I only had a brief brush with the assassins in a Cursades/Islam class I took years ago. The brain-washing in paradise is really gnarly stuff.:D

Back