Any final thoughts on this setup?

Tomash

Newcomer
I'm about to make the purchase, but you know how it is.
You keep second-guessing yourself till the very end.
So, would you change anything in this setup?
It'll be a gaming machine, moderately OCed, also used for video editing and Photoshop.

Opteron 170, 2GB of OCZ Platinium DDR500, Sapphire X1900XT, DFI LanParty nF4 Ultra-D, Antec TruePower 550W PSU, and a 74GB WD Raptor.

Also, I'll add the two 120GB drives I currently own for storage, and use the Raptor as an OS/games drive. And an 2005FPW to complete it.

So, what would you change?

Nothing. Just add a good cooler for the opteron (the stock one is ok if you lap it and change the fan to a 12cm) and make sure you have enough cold air going into the case.

Lapping is way, way overrated. If not done very correctly, it'll worsen thermal transfer instead (by causing a shiny, yet non-level surface).

maaoouud said:
Nothing. Just add a good cooler for the opteron (the stock one is ok if you lap it and change the fan to a 12cm) and make sure you have enough cold air going into the case.
I'm gonna put all of that in the Antec P180, so that means like 3 or 4 120mm fans, and a single 80mm fan for case cooling.
I've though about getting third-party HSF, but is it really that necessary? I've heard the stock cooler performs really well. Though I will be OCing the CPU quite a bit - I'm thinking about pushing it to (or near) FX-60 levels.

_xxx_ said:
Nice setup, I'd add a good sound card to it, the X-Fi Platinum preferably.
Nah, I don't think I wanbt to spend $120 or more on a sound card.
Besides, the motherboard has on-board audio. Though maybe I will upgrade it at a later date.

Back