Antec P180 for $80, Corsair HX620 $124

Windfire

Regular
Antec P180 Black or Silver at Frys.com for $80 + tax.

Black Link:
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4843800

$40 mail in rebate
FREE shipping.

I paid $10 taxes for Washington State, bringing the final price to ~$90. I got a ship notice like 9 hours after I ordered it (wow).

==================
ZipZoomFly has the Corsair HX620 PSU for $143.90 (a good price) with a $20 mail-in rebate.

Link:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=373110&prodlist=pricegrabber

$123.90 after $20 rebate.
FREE shipping.

Nice buy! I've been considering the P180 for a while now but I'm not too thrilled about having to buy a new PSU since my Modstream's stiff cables will cause issues with that case. I'm still waiting for my dream case that has it all - why aren't HDD grommets standard on all cases yet? :???:

Nice, I love my HX620, it is awesome, but it is my first modular PSU so I may not know better. :)

i used the P180 for last build. i love it...like the plain jane look...like the 'firewall' (steel) separation of PSU and rest of components...plenty of room (if you route the cables smartly)...slidey bays....plenty o fans...

after my mboard fried, i now not only have my 680W thermaltake (wasn't the problem)...i also have a 550W antec. (in stock locally)

i used the P180 for last build. i love it...like the plain jane look...like the 'firewall' (steel) separation of PSU and rest of components...plenty of room (if you route the cables smartly)...slidey bays....plenty o fans...

after my mboard fried, i now not only have my 680W thermaltake (wasn't the problem)...i also have a 550W antec. (in stock locally)

Regarding the P180... I've got the case and PSU, but am waiting on the motherboard until March/April. I just realized that I don't recall seeing the optional side-fan mounting for pulling cool air from outside over the video card. Did you get this? I am >not< planning on using it, but I realized I didn't get it.

I plan to remove the center HD drive bay thingy to enhance air flow (I'm adding a front fan) and for clearance for a 8800GTX.

Regarding the P180... I've got the case and PSU, but am waiting on the motherboard until March/April. I just realized that I don't recall seeing the optional side-fan mounting for pulling cool air from outside over the video card. Did you get this? I am >not< planning on using it, but I realized I didn't get it.

I plan to remove the center HD drive bay thingy to enhance air flow (I'm adding a front fan) and for clearance for a 8800GTX.

i got the max fans option yes. make sure you route your cables (PSU through the firewall) through the (closest to front of case) opening. otherwise you may notice one of your PCI slots is no longer useable (i did) when you're done. at least with the PSU and cabling i had to work with.

i got the max fans option yes. make sure you route your cables (PSU through the firewall) through the (closest to front of case) opening. otherwise you may notice one of your PCI slots is no longer useable (i did) when you're done. at least with the PSU and cabling i had to work with.

Did you mount your PSU so the fan faced up or down? I'm not sure if it would make any difference. I'm getting nearly a 50/50 mix in answers. :)

The fan should face down towards the CPU.

In a normal case, Yes; but the P180 is a bit different. The PSU is mounted at the bottom of the case in a seperate compartment, and can be mounted either way up.

Windfire: I mounted my PSU (Corsair HX 620) 'upside down' with the fan facing upwards. There seemed to be more space for the air to flow above, so it seemed better that way to me. The fan in the lower compartment then sucks air in from the front, past my Hard drives, and blows air over the top of the upside down PSU out of the back vents.

In a normal case, Yes; but the P180 is a bit different. The PSU is mounted at the bottom of the case in a seperate compartment, and can be mounted either way up.

Windfire: I mounted my PSU (Corsair HX 620) 'upside down' with the fan facing upwards. There seemed to be more space for the air to flow above, so it seemed better that way to me. The fan in the lower compartment then sucks air in from the front, past my Hard drives, and blows air over the top of the upside down PSU out of the back vents.

Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to know. It seems to be kind of a 50/50 split, but I like the info you provided about having slightly more room. I really like the wind-tunnel type effect this has in the lower chamber--keeping the PSU and HD heat away from the motherboard and providing much better wind-tunnel cooling for the HDs.

Back