AMD launches PC 'for the rest of us world'

Will these sell ?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It's cute.

So yeah of course for this class of device you gotta overlook that it's missing all sorts of things. I'm sure everyone would've liked more memory to name one obvious thing. But what I can't understand is that it doesn't seem to have Ethernet. Isn't this supposed to be a net appliance? I would've gladly sacrificed two of those USB ports for that..

I know we're not the target consumers but it might've just made a sweet little router/firewall type thingy.

Florin said:
It's cute.

So yeah of course for this class of device you gotta overlook that it's missing all sorts of things. I'm sure everyone would've liked more memory to name one obvious thing. But what I can't understand is that it doesn't seem to have Ethernet. Isn't this supposed to be a net appliance? I would've gladly sacrificed two of those USB ports for that..

I know we're not the target consumers but it might've just made a sweet little router/firewall type thingy.

Why would you need more than 128MB with such a slimmed down OS and pretty specialized functionality? Even better if as the Register says they decide to come out with a Linux version.

1st: you need to go down to somwhere $200-300 to sell massively

2nd: it can't be done with Windows, Bill don't give you Windows less than $50, not even that completely f***d up, crappy, useless CE - you have to go with free OS like Linux.

3rd: how about support? You can't covber from this price - therefore you all you can do is sell without support. BTW a very good documentation could be OK.

I'd say half the price will be having windows xp on them..

Just ordered parts to build two computers for simple game playing and with wireless networking.. Cost me around $700 US, whatever $1000CDN works out to.. $300 CDN for a 52MBps wireless router and 3 nics to match.. 512MB ram each, nforce2 matx boards with geforce mx video on board..2 cases, 2 sempron 2400+ cpus, etc..

So looking at $350 CDN per machine, or around $250 US, just add hard drives and cd burners, which I had already lying around..

Compared to prices 10 years ago, it's a steal.. lol

Back