A void in space?

Ahh yes, good stuff. I just watched the first two again a few months back. Not watching the third..that can go die.

Oh uh, space void. Yeah... God, you missed a spot. :LOL:

Here I thought we were talking about Lindsay Lohan. No seriously, no one quite knows and its rather interesting.

The details of the observation aren't public yet.

But speculating here, it could just be a statistical fluke. I also have no idea how hey manage to make the assertion that there is no dark matter present, seeing as there is no visible light tracers to make that judgement.

It was probably some grad student. :p

Hm... if there is nothing there, everything should be drawn to it, shouldn't they? It's more of a vacuum than "populated" space already is.

like i told the fellas at another forum it was some aliens toying around with quantum teleportation/tunneling/time travel and they ended up tearing a hole in the fabric of space and time and destroying themselves and the chunk of space they inhabited.

Although the universe has many empty places around, but on a very large scale it's quite "uniform." That's why we need an "inflation model" for the big bang theory. So on a large scale, there are always something somewhere. So it's sort of unusual to see a very large empty area.

Hm... if there is nothing there, everything should be drawn to it, shouldn't they? It's more of a vacuum than "populated" space already is.

I think this is a more of a case of lack of stars and planets than being more of a vacuum than elsewhere. The space is pretty much a vacuum everywhere else too.

i dont think the void is as big as it looks.

matter basically keeps space straight. too much matter and space curves inward. to little makes it relax outward. just the right amount (like most of the universe) makes space straight.

since there is very little matter in the void, space is severely curved outward, making it appear MUCH larger than it actually is.

You know I was thinking, even if there were this 'void', wouldn't we still see the light from the stars beyond the void, shining through it? That is unless the void were so damn fresh that light from the stars behind it hadn't had the chance to come through yet to us :???:

We could also be looking at a region of space that is/was beyond the Big Bang (if that's what happened).

Back