A question regarding spyware.

I installed a shareware utility called Audio Edit Deluxe a few days ago which Zonealarm warns me is trying to log keyboard and mouse activity. When however I perform a complete system scan for spyware with Zonealarm and Webroot Spysweeper Audio Editor is not flagged for deletion by either package. Could this keylogger warning be a false positive?

Given Media Player's intrinsic net access privilages I'm also curious if audio files could be altered to contain malicious code?

Zone Alarm shows you the path with filename and all. If it's that, than I'd suggest you look for another tool for editing :)

Try to search for it on Security Focus homepage, if it's a baddie they'll probably have it listed.

Don't think this one is a baddie in itself, but what was your source for the program? There has been numerous cases of people repackaging freeware/shareware with spyware and adware and then submitted the compromised versions to big download sites, in some cases even replacing the legitimate version.

Try grabbing it from the homepage if that's not where you got it from.

Zone Alarm gives the same warning about MSN messenger because it is trying to see when you are idle to set your status to away.

My point is that your app might not be actually up to no good. Zone Alarm can only see what APIs it is using, not what it is using them for.

Thanks for replies.

_xxx_ said:
Zone Alarm shows you the path with filename and all. If it's that, than I'd suggest you look for another tool for editing :)

Try to search for it on Security Focus homepage, if it's a baddie they'll probably have it listed.

Path leads right to Audio Edits's door, a search of Security Focus draws a blank though.

_xxx_ said:
Don't think this one is a baddie in itself, but what was your source for the program?

I got it from their homepage, the same as your link. Given it's at version 1.6, a sponsored link from google, and as stated, a full system scan doesnt pick it up as dangerous, it seems quite legitimate. (?)

Fruitfrenzy said:
Zone Alarm gives the same warning about MSN messenger because it is trying to see when you are idle to set your status to away.

My point is that your app might not be actually up to no good. Zone Alarm can only see what APIs it is using, not what it is using them for.

Step 1/ Install OS
Step 2/ Kill Messenger :smile:

I gave it the benifit of the doubt and actually tried it, and it works well.
I've left a please explain message with their customer support and will report back if I get a response.

For any who are interested.

No response from Mysticmedia customer support after one week.

NAV also started catching repeated Backdoor.Greybird trojan infestations, which stoped after Audio Edit was uninstalled (I left it installed through lazyness).

Could be coincidence...

Back