A friend of mine just got a big baby girl, hehe!

Guden Oden

Legend
5+ kilos birth weight! :oops:

This is his second kid now, the other's a boy of little over 2 years. I wonder what'll happen in say 10 years or so, this guy's like the hardcorest gamer I know even though he doesn't actually have the time to play as much anymore, I just can't help wondering if he'll make both his kids gamers as well or if one/both of them manage to somehow acquire other interests... lol :)

Congratulations to the parents.
So what names are being considered?
Dawn? Ruby? What is the fathers political persuasion

Is the baby anything like I am?

Constantly vying for attention and producing a seemlingly endless stream of excrement.

The baby I mean.

Oh, wait...:???:

Shogun said:
So what names are being considered?
Dawn? Ruby?
Heh, you don't really see those names in sweden. ;) Actually, when I talked to him yesterday, no name had been chosen. It's not legal to inform beforehand of the sex of a baby (to prevent selective abortion), so it seems they hadn't chosen anything, not even alternatives for each possibility.

What is the fathers political persuasion
Rofl! Nothing! :LOL: He's as disinterested by politics as can be, and nearly so about news in general... He doesn't read papers, and rarely, if ever, TV news. Heh. I don't think he votes either I might add.

Constantly vying for attention and producing a seemlingly endless stream of excrement.

The baby I mean.

Oh, wait...:???:
Rofl.

Guden Oden said:
5+ kilos birth weight! :oops:

This is his second kid now, the other's a boy of little over 2 years. I wonder what'll happen in say 10 years or so, this guy's like the hardcorest gamer I know even though he doesn't actually have the time to play as much anymore, I just can't help wondering if he'll make both his kids gamers as well or if one/both of them manage to somehow acquire other interests... lol :)

Small baby. Hope she is ok.

5 kg small? I think it's quite big for a girl.
Mine (well, kind of...) was some 3,5 kg, which I think is about average.

I'm surprised in Sweden it's illegal to let know the sex of the baby before giving birth. Here it is up to the parents.

Heh, 5kg is big for any baby. For the rest of the Americans out there that don't know the metric system, that's about 11lbs. I was 10lbs, and that's much larger than most.

rabidrabbit said:
I'm surprised in Sweden it's illegal to let know the sex of the baby before giving birth. Here it is up to the parents.
AFAIK it isn't.
It might be illegal to do tests at a very early stage. Isn't it possible to do some tests on the amniotic fluid* to se the sex of the child? That might be what guden refers to. But later, when doing the ultra sonic exam, the parents are typically asked if they want to know if it's a boy or a girl. Most parent's seem to choose not to know though.

*) Yes, I needed to use a dictionary for that one. :smile:

Yes, apparently some of the child's cells make their way into the amnionic fluid, so that DNA testing can be performed to determine the sex, as well as the existence of certain genetic defects. I'm not sure of the cost or how many people go for it, though. I would imagine that the most useful question in certain cases would be blood typing: some combinations of mother/child blood type are very dangerous (though obviously you'd only want to bother to check if the father had the "wrong" blood type).

Chalnoth said:
I would imagine that the most useful question in certain cases would be blood typing: some combinations of mother/child blood type are very dangerous (though obviously you'd only want to bother to check if the father had the "wrong" blood type).

Is that true? I've honestly never heard of this before, and I think we covered all the possibilities of birth defects in my bio class...do you happen to know which combinations were dangerous?

I wouldn't have expected the human body to create an embryo that was immedietly vulnerable in that type of situation...

Kanyamagufa said:
Is that true? I've honestly never heard of this before, and I think we covered all the possibilities of birth defects in my bio class...do you happen to know which combinations were dangerous?

I wouldn't have expected the human body to create an embryo that was immedietly vulnerable in that type of situation...
What I'm talking about isn't about defects, but rather danger to the mother/child during birth, and the probability of a miscarriage. I have some family members who have had a very hard time giving birth, partially due to a difference in blood types.

Back