802.11n Delayed Again

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;1523217026;fp;256;fpid;56736

Okay, that's it! I am now officially annoyed. Don't these $%#@ know that me, and a few extra million of my friends, are looking forward to buying a Vista-capable laptop next spring with a hydrid drive, Vista-capable graphics (the July standard too, I mean!), and integrated 802.11n adapter? How are we going to do that if the %$#@ standard isn't set for the IHV's to build the damn things?

"There were a lot of duplicate comments, and three people filed comments for each and every blank line in the document," says Bill McFarland, CTO for Atheros Communications, a WLAN chip vendor.
Nice to know that the wait is for good purpose too :)

Does this standard resolve the problem of G, that even when you have G rated equipment, the same manufacturers. If you are in a shared appartment or have other houses next to you and they are all using wifi. Your speed doesnt drop down from 118mbps to 54mbps?

It would be great that even if there were wifi networks in your neighbourhood you would always get the advertised wifi speeds.

mkillio said:
Linksys has sold a wireless-N Router and cards for at least three weeks now
And so does everyone else (and their grandmother), but then again, they're not... Note my added bold:
Introducing Linksys Wireless-N networking based on the draft 802.11n standard.
The point of the article linked in the original post, OTOH, is that:
"Draft 1.0 really can't be used to build interoperability around," says Airgo's De Vegt.

Linksys has sold a wireless-N Router and cards for at least three weeks now/

Doubt it. You might be confused with a number of products going by the name of pre-n or draft n. But these have not come close to what 802.11n is suppose to bring nor is there any certainy that they will work with 802.11n products.

Argh, beat by 2 minutes.

My last job consisted of mostly installing Wireless networks for home and small business users. Lots of housing estates have several wireless netwoks which conflict. In some area almost all the Channel ID numbers were used.

Locking Airpoints to a single channel ID (rather than Auto) and setting the wireless client software to only use the BSSID MAC address of the required Airpoint helped, but it was no real solution as so many wireless clients software/drivers don't support locking of BSSID MAC addresses!

Back