3D Modeling and Animation as a Career

BlueTsunami

I laugh at you! HA HA HA!
Veteran
Hi everyone, it seems as though I changed my mind from the actual coding aspect to something possibly more artistic. I'm currently thinking about leaving my current field (IT) and pursuing something in 3D Modeling or Animation (or both). I've grown tired of IT and its monotny and really reconsidering what I want to do (i'm currently 19 turning 20 in October).

A little history on me. I actually was really really really into art when I was younger (as far as a I can remember-15 Years old)...then girls and general teenage stuff grabbed hold of me. I stopped drawing, and started paying attention to PC Hardware and general Networking. Even now I have this urge to draw once in a while...actually not even draw really, just do something creative and engulf myself in my imagination.

Que to 2005 and how sick I am of fixing/building computers. I get payed crap for money and I have co-workers that are doing the same thing i'm doing...and they average at 40 years old (I think one is probably in his 50s :( ). I'm the only "Teenager" there and I feel so out of place....I also see in my co workers where I could be in 20Years...working for the same company hitting my head on that ceiling (if you know what I mean).

I currently have been sketching a little bit...feeding my urge to draw but drawing never really quenched my thirst (with the finished product). I think seeing my thoughts and characters in full 3D is what i've been wanting and what I should be doing as a profession. I've seen Maya in action and have heard that 3D Studio Max is a great program to start learning this stuff.....

So my questions are....

Do you think I should pursue this career path? I'm looking at classes that I could learn the software and build a portfolio with my creations. I don't want to do this online so I'll probably end up going to an actual campus and taking classes (I live in Massachusetts and I have my eye on Gibbs). Also, (for the ones that may have experience in this field or some knowledge) how is the job situation? Is there a demand for these type of positions? Any answers will be greatly appreciated!

I guess i'm at that stage my Father, older cousins and uncles call that reflective period. I'm either going to do this or join the army :eek: (The army has always been a choice, i'm actually lifting weights and doing cardio in case thats the choice I make)

PS: I'm not sure where I should have put this post, but if a Mod wants to move it to another forum where it will be better addressed then please do so!

well 3d modelling and animation can be hella fun if you have the discipline and desire to really do it. i say go ahead. you're likely to not get rich doing it but i think that if you enjoy that sort of thing then you'll have infinitely more fun at your job than fixing PC's.

If you like money, and when I say money, I'm talking about engouh incomes to pay your rent, then pursue the IT path.

Money is a great thing. It makes your life easier (No joke), don't say no to money because you want model countless WWII soliders or flesh and metal monsters designed by a talentless character designer.

Money is great, embrace money, say no to unstable jobs, say no to working in low class projects modelling "The Rugrats" with a 400 polygons budget for a cellphone java game! Choose money!

Unstability is Scary...

Vysez said:
Money is great, embrace money, say no to unstable jobs, say no to working in low class projects modelling "The Rugrats" with a 400 polygons budget for a cellphone java game! Choose money!

Thats the one thing I find that is the downfall to that career path. It does seem VERY unstable in that when a project is done..you have to move on to a new one. But the saving grace is just the artistic aspect of it...but if it is made up of modeling boring characters and whatnot...then i'll have to look into it more than I have already.

EDIT: OMG..I just looked at 3D Studio Max 8...what a crazy program..Some of the images that where created with it are just beautiful! I'll get it somehow..heheh..herr..hmm...I can't wait to see what I can do (i'll probably fall on my face due to the lack of knowledge of the program).

Last edited by a moderator:
BlueTsunami said:
Thats the one thing I find that is the downfall to that career path. It does seem VERY unstable in that when a project is done..you have to move on to a new one. But the saving grace is just the artistic aspect of it...but if it is made up of modeling boring characters and whatnot...then i'll have to look into it more than I have already.

EDIT: OMG..I just looked at 3D Studio Max 8...what a crazy program..Some of the images that where created with it are just beautiful! I'll get it somehow..heheh..herr..hmm...I can't wait to see what I can do (i'll probably fall on my face due to the lack of knowledge of the program).

One thing you may want to keep in mind is that sometimes doing what you love for a job can ruin it. It would be absolutely amazing to work in a 3D graphics/modelling career if you can get one of those rare jobs that is stable, pays well, and allows you the freedom to create what you want how you want. On the other hand, making slave-labor like wages, working insane hours, and being forced to work on something that is only a twisted shadow of the work you wish you were doing can be a bit... disheartening.

Sometimes it's best to keep the things you love to do as a hobby, at least until you can figure out how to do it the way you want to do it. I think it's the same reason why a lot of programmers get burned out in IT.

Nite_Hawk

Nite_Hawk said:
On the other hand, making slave-labor like wages

Thats the current situation i'm in now (I make $9.60 an hour), I was formerly an intern here then the IT department got outsourced to a foriegn German company that specializes in IT work. They offered me a job...and I took it (thinking it would help get my foot in). But it seems as though I'm going nowhere with this..and I don't really want to become a manager or a project leader (which seems to be the next step after you hit the top of the IT hardware ladder).

EDIT: I'm *cough*acquiring*cough* ***** (<---Decided to blank out the program just in case :eek: ) right now (gotta jump through hoops though). HEY!! I'm broke :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a pretty famous 3D Modeling app...and I installed it on my laptop....I tried to do some..I would guess Resource intensive task..and my laptop crapped out on me..LOL. Guess i'm going to have to bust out my PC (I replaced it with my Mac..but since I have some use for what power it has..then its now worth using).

Don't listen to all the naysayers here. Enjoyment in your job is very important when it comes to everyday life. If you want to be challenged and have a somewhat relaxed job than a job in CG can be rewarding. It really all depends on how good you are with art. You can decide to go to school to learn the basics. That's what a lot of people do and it has worked well for some. The important part is that you have to want it and work your ass off to become good at it. Many people walk through some type of program thinking they will be come 3D masters. WRONG! A strong foundation in art will go a long way into making you a good 3D person.

There are a couple different paths you can pursue in CG and 3D. You can be a generalist. This is where you pretty much are a jack of all trades and may not be the best in some areas or any areas at all. But you can still be good in all areas. Smaller studios are always looking for people like this.

You can be a modeller, a rigger, an animatior, TD. You name it there are jobs out there. You have to have the desire for it and really want it.

The industry can be pretty unstable at times but that goes with a lot of different careers also. If you're young and not ready to settle down then it can be a great advantage. You'll be able to move to many different places just because you'll need a job at times. Don't work for EA whatever you do because you will basically be a slave working for crappy wages.

And remember, you are not limited to video games! There is always the movie industry that has jobs opening up left and right. Those jobs aren't very stable but they pay good and will allow you to take a few months off throughout the year if you desire to do that. During your time off you can freelance and build up a small client base if you're good enough. There are also commercials you will be able to do. What else? Some medical jobs are out there that pay very well but are extrmely tedious. Courtroom jobs are also available in some areas. The field is wide open, but there is some competition.

No matter what though, you will be best off moving to the West Coast for any type of stable job and income. The LA scene is very good right now and San Francisco is starting to pick up.

Here is a link for schools from cgtalk if you decide to go to school. If anything else, it doesn't hurt to look into it.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=69427

Thanks for the response Sonic...I currently have a scheduled meeting with a representative from Gibbs (in Boston, MA) who will show me the campus and talk about Financial Aid.

The program that i'm using is wonderful. I downloaded a PDF starter guid for the program (i'll probably buy the book, even though I have the PDF on hand). I've learned how to make basic models, adding polys to smooth out objects, basic shaders and about Vertexs and NURBS (NURBS are cool, they way they can be manipulated and created just rocks!).

I can sit there and just create thing...its like doodling with a pencil...just sit there and create random 3D objects and see them come to form. I love this stuff and to make a career out of it seems like the most logical choice. I also feel that from the time i've spent with the program...I just feel more comfortable about doing this.

NURBS might seem interesting and fun at first, but they can quickly become a pain. Just as many of the artists here. But as long as you're learning something new that is going to be of great benefit to you then that is a major plus.

Remember, if you have your mind set on it then you will be able to do it. It takes some patience and a lot of learning, but it is more than worth it.

i hear LB is into modelling also... imagine possibilities.... "Desktop LB" that dances and... well, let him just dance....:LOL:

Back