32bit CG vs 128bit Realtime

G

Comparing Tekken 2 FMV CGs and TTT/FFX realtime, it is hard to say the pre rendered videos are better, yet somehow it has something that realtime graphics lack.

Model complexity is almost similar, while the textures and FSAA are not that far out since T2 FMVs run at 320x240, and they look more jaggies than PS2 games. :LOL:

There is this plastic shiny sheen on the CG models that make them stand out. Is that the result of raytracing or some high quality multitexturing?

ttt_07.jpg

www.angelfire.com/tn/tekkenland/marshall/images/marshall17.jpg

Noticed that shiny gloss present in the second image(have to click on it since its angelfire)?

Er, a specular highlight? Nothing so earthshaking a GeForce2 couldn't do- maybe even the original GeForce, as well. I've even seen it done in software off a PIII CPU, but not in realtime, of course. At the speeds they are now, it might actually be possible in realtime by now, but not really necessary since you would typically have a GPU to do it anyway.

Can you post your image in to a HTML page(the CG one)? All I can get is a 'Hosted by Angelfire' message no matter how I try and load it.

copy/paste the link manually into a fresh browser window and press enter!

I do that and I get 'This image hosted by Angelfire'. Same thing as when I click the link.

Let's see if I use FP to open it(haven't tried it yet).... yep, lousy screenshot, blurry as hell.

Realtime games are rivaling/surpassing some of the early 32-bit prerendered CG - like the original Tekken CG and maybe even FF7.

With the next generation (PS3,XB2,GC2) I am hoping for realtime in-game visuals that are on par with early-mid 1990s television CG (commercials, tv series)

As long as the in game looks good and the FMV's are good, I'm fine. I think the realtime graphics on a lot of games definately surpass Tomb Raider 1's FMVs

Back