27in 1440p Gaming Monitor

homerdog

donator of the year
Legend
Supporter
Currently what ~$300 27in 1440p flat (not curved) gaming monitors are good? I'd like at least 144Hz, VRR support with minimal flickering, and good motion clarity. HDR would be nice as well.

So far I'm leaning toward the $280 AOC Q27G3XMN. It gets the most attention and praise from reviewers.

Be aware some monitors claim HDR support but it's hdr ready which just means it can accept a hdr signal
a bit like those Hd ready monitors which could accept a hd signal but couldnt display it in hd

Probably going to depend on preference and local pricing to answer this.

The AOC Q27G3XMN you mention is going to be by far the cheapest availabe with local dimming. Just keep in mind it is a VA panel with the pros and cons that entails.

Probably going to depend on preference and local pricing to answer this.

The AOC Q27G3XMN you mention is going to be by far the cheapest availabe with local dimming. Just keep in mind it is a VA panel with the pros and cons that entails.
I don't care that much about having local dimming but it is nice. Really I want something that handles motion and VRR well. My current monitor isn't great on motion blur unless I turn on ELMB (black frame insertion), but then VRR doesn't work and it gets pretty dim. I understand why having both at the same time would be challenging but I assume someone has figured it out by now.

Be aware some monitors claim HDR support but it's hdr ready which just means it can accept a hdr signal
a bit like those Hd ready monitors which could accept a hd signal but couldnt display it in hd
What is the state of HDR on Windows? Last I checked it seemed like a pain in the ass but maybe it's gotten better?

I don't care that much about having local dimming but it is nice. Really I want something that handles motion and VRR well. My current monitor isn't great on motion blur unless I turn on ELMB (black frame insertion), but then VRR doesn't work and it gets pretty dim. I understand why having both at the same time would be challenging but I assume someone has figured it out by now.

I'm not sure if that will be the monitor for you. It's main selling point is local dimming and therefore very good HDR for that price point.

VA's are going to have issues with motion performance particularly with respect to certain transitions, especially darker ones (which along with typically worse black crush/dark gradient handling makes them a bit of a condorum in terms of darker content). It's on the faster side for a VA but I reportedly the dark transtions are still notceable in terms of what people would characterize as a "smearing." Secondly I believe that monitor is reported to have flickering issues with respect to it's VRR implementation when the frame rate heavily fluctuates.

If how it handles motion, especially consitently, is the main criteria I think you would still want an IPS.

There are some displays that allow BFI with VRR but I believe the implementations have some caveats (well maybe outside of the new Nvidia implementation that is likely rather pricey). Off hand I know Asus and Gigabyte have displays with this, generally marketed as ELMB(or equivalent) -Sync.

Back