Engadget shows off pics of white, glossy secksi Wii cables and accessories.

Guden Oden

Legend
Well, actually I expect them to have linked this news from some other website as usual, but that's par for the course for them and countless other news repositories anyway, so I'm not blaming them.

While you're there, you can revel in more geeky gadgetry than you can shake a stick at, so go ahead and knock yourselves out everybody; enjoy the ride while it lasts! :D

It's worth noting that the ethernet-to-USB adapter looks a tad large (pre-production unit?), and that there are four kinds of audio/video cables available: composite, S-video, component (sans composite I believe, unlike MS's 360 offering), and a final choice that I believe is VGA. Do note the weird pinchable clip-like things at the end of the connector; those do not look like the regular screws found on VGA plugs. Baseless speculation: this is not VGA at all, but actually HDMI. :oops:

I've now made a sensationalist speculation thread! Someone quick, beat me senseless for this most severe transgression! :)

Yeah, I think you're pretty far off with that one.
I know, I know. It's a VGA cable for sure.

Looks like a VGA connection with some type of screwless retention mechanism.
Would be pretty nice if that was the case, not sure how it would work tho...

Btw!
Looking at that official (and surely muchly overpriced) SD memory card makes me think the entire wii system is pretty much designed after a SD card with that notched corner. Just look at the wii itself, the power brick and the network adapter, they all have the same basic styling as a SD card. Weird. :)

on d-terminals:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D4_video_connector

as it seems the cube also had it (the original digital-out model, not my 'you-dont-really-want-a-progressive-signal' jedi-mindtrick version)

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-24-49-en-70-ll.html

if you pay attention at the customers' comments at play-asia's page, a d-terminal cable has all the necessary clock signals for being a prime candidate for vga-cable modding. any insights on how that's done?

edit: ok, found it, here's how:

http://www.planetgamecube.com/reviewArt.cfm?artid=4150

intersting, the above claims there's not transcoding from YPrPb going on at all. is this how it actually is?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gamecube actually outputs a digital video signal(on the original models). The component video cable has a DAC built into the cable that converts the digital into YPrPb...and can be easily modified to output VGA.

With a little bit of work you can also get digital audio from the same connector(48KHz 16bit stereo PCM).

I don't want to hi-jack the thread. But I saw a Wii ad in Tokyo station today and took a picture. I didn't feel it was worth a new topic so I'll just post it here. It just says "新しいリモコン(Atarashi Remocon)" or "The New Remote Control"

img1540hl0.jpg

Interesting how they are only promoting the controler in the Ad. PS3 ads in comparison promote the system itself.

Understandably, they're promoting their respective strenghts.
PS3 - The system as a whole
Wii - The fun control method

The Wii console in itself is even designed to look as incont.... inconsio.....insc... inconspicuous as possible.
You're playing and controlling the game, not the console.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gamecube actually outputs a digital video signal(on the original models). The component video cable has a DAC built into the cable that converts the digital into YPrPb...and can be easily modified to output VGA.

yes, i knew about the DAC. what i did not know was that you could tell flipper to keep its front buffer (aka XFB) in RGB space - i thought it was always YCbCr. so how does this work - apparently it cannot go to 24bit RGB as that would mean doubling XFB's footprint behind the SW's back. so does XFB become 16bit RGB? or is the conversion done on the fly right before the digi-out terminal?

point being, unless the XFB _is_ indeed in RGB space, there must be some transcoding going on somewhere. in analog or digital form.

Btw!
Looking at that official (and surely muchly overpriced) SD memory card makes me think the entire wii system is pretty much designed after a SD card with that notched corner. Just look at the wii itself, the power brick and the network adapter, they all have the same basic styling as a SD card. Weird. :)

No shit, Sherlock. I believe they even said it themselves in one of them interviews on wii.com.

Back