Intel to sell XScale business...?

I wasn't really expecting this.

As Intel focuses on its core microprocessor business to pull out of its slump, the chip giant has put several of its money-losing communications businesses up for sale, according to sources who have seen details of the plans.
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/14733041.htm

The reason seems to be the low revenues of those units.

What will be the implication of this? Who are the most probable buyers?

So after all it seems that XScale was not one of the topic in Apple's decision to move from PowerPC to Intel.

They won't need it once they buy ATI?

No, wait, that was last month's rumour. . . ;)

This could be the reason for the cancellation of their 2900G multimedia XScale companion chip they were about to launch. Intel now suggests to its customers to use a third party, GoForce chip instead.

Lazy8s said:
This could be the reason for the cancellation of their 2900G multimedia XScale companion chip they were about to launch. Intel now suggests to its customers to use a third party, GoForce chip instead.

I sure hope not, I was looking forward to 2900G parts, especially if they were SGX based.

But I've never heard that before, were did hear that?

Killer-Kris said:
I sure hope not, I was looking forward to 2900G parts, especially if they were SGX based.
The graphics component of the (canceled) 2900G was an MBX, not an SGX.

akira888 said:
The graphics component of the (canceled) 2900G was an MBX, not an SGX.

If that's so I'm far less interested. I was really looking forward to having shaders in such a mobile part.

Back