Importance of high resolution support

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
Now that Ati is drumming and hyping their very high resolution support as something as important as HD is for televisions, I think a sort of a poll would be in place abouit how we feel about this... So I can't make a poll, well, then I'll just ask you:

1. With your current monitor, everyday use and gaming, are your resolutions...
a) 1600x1200 and/or below
or
b) higher than that.

2. If you plan to upgrade to R5x0 series graphics, are you planning to upgrade your monitor along with your graphics card to get higher resolutions? (if not planning to upgrade to R520, do not answer to this particular question)

3. State your monitor brand and model.

Thanks!

edit: oh and I'd like to keep the answers small and poll-like, if you want to discuss these things, I'd suggest another thread.

my answers, for example:

1 a
2 no
3 Nokia 445Xav

Last edited by a moderator:
1600x1200 Philips 200P4SS LCD for me.

Guess I need a bigger LCD :devilish:

1 a (limited by 9800se)
2 no
3 Samsung 21" 1100p+(2048 x 1536 @ 71Hz resolution (Max.))

Rys said:
1600x1200 Philips 200P4SS LCD for me.

Guess I need a bigger LCD :devilish:

Don't you know that you can't be a "real gamer" with an LCD? All the cool kids say so! :LOL:

Another instance (like cpus) where indecision has frozen me. Still using a 19" Sony 420GS. It won't do 16x12 at a refresh I'd find acceptable (it'll only do 72hz at that res).

Short answers:
1) A
2) No
3) Iiyama Vision Master 451 Pro IIRC.

Long answers:

1) I am desktoping in 1600x1200. (I actually do desktop in a lower res now since my GF2 GTS had a fire accident and my replacemant card (ATI Rage II) can't handle that resolution at 32bits and high refresh rate).
Gaming has almost never been as high as 1600x1200.

2) I am not planning an upgrade to R5XX series (currently). I am however interested in increasing my desktop area with a second monitor, which quite possibly could handle higher resolution than 1600x1200.

1.) A, but may change soon.... possibly, probably not.
2.) Yes
3.) I currently have two Hyundai L90D+'s hooked to my main rig, and then another for my LAN rig. Then I have 3 more of these that I use at my shop. Buying six of them at one go, I ended up getting them each with a 30% discount. I enjoy them very much.

1. a
2. maybe
3. Samsung 900DF (POS monitor, only got it when my Sony monitor exploded and thought I would buy a Dell 2001FP within three months... obviously, that hasn't happened)

John Reynolds said:
3) have a Dell 2405 on order, 1920x1200 here I come.

Admit it. There was joy in your heart when you saw this thread, as it gave you a plausible opportunity to say that and make the rest of us eat our hearts out, without making you look like too much of a "looky-looky!". You know it's true.

Edit: And even better? You'll have to keep stretching for a new video card to drive that bad boy. . .

EditII: And welcome another SM to the carping-at-Wavey-to-get-a-bigger-monitor club. . . :LOL:

geo said:
Admit it. There was joy in your heart when you saw this thread, as it gave you a plausible opportunity to say that and make the rest of us eat our hearts out, without making you look like too much of a "looky-looky!". You know it's true.

All I know is that I operate at a much higher mental level than the petty motivations you're ascribing to me.

:cool:

John Reynolds said:
All I know is that I operate at a much higher mental level than the petty motivations you're ascribing to me.

:cool:

Oh, sorry, I misread the last name. I thot it was "Reynolds", not "Galt." :LOL:

1) A
2) Eventually, and not any time soon.
3) jtx v9s, 19" lcd, max 1280x1024

I do have a tv that can do display 1080i, and if they switch to component instead of svideo for tv out, I'd be all for it. :) Might actually play games on the thing then. Tv has dvi input as well, but that' s a lost cause with all the hdcp crap on the go.

Back