Modders have xbox 360s already(56kers be warned)

scooby_dooby said:
nice. check out the samsung drive!

finally a console that will be a reliable long lasting DVD player.

From what I read, the drive is a joint venture between Samsung and Toshiba. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Perhaps the final production 360 would be slightly different than the kits, but it'll be sad for MS if the modders crack it before launch, or if not, soon after.

- Z

max-pain said:
800MHz GDDR 3 SDRAM

wow

Where are you seeing that? That is interesting.

Btw, on the site I see

the aircooled heatsinks of CPU (left) and GPU (right)

Air cooled eh? They note the final retail version of the CPU will be water cooled but this DOES make me scratch my head some. If they are able to hit 500MHz with Xenos air cooled, would it not be possible to hit 550-600+ with a small fan? That is a 10-20% increase in performance. Maybe they are passively cooled because they are the underclocked chips... or maybe they trust devs not to use them in a house that is 95 degrees or to leave them in direct sunlight while in use?

I know there were some complaints about the noise with Xbox1... but me, personally... I would take an extra 20% in performance and a little fan noise than no fan noise and a little less performance. Although I have a quite PSU, Quiet CPU Fan, and Quite GPU Fan on my PC... of course that is because I cannot stand the noise when I am working. Never bothered me when I gamed when I had the loud junk in there.

london-boy said:
Burn to the touch?? I think if you have an external PSU that gets that hot, you should have it checked cause that's not right. It should be warm, not burning hot.
It's not warm, it's hot to the touch. It's normal operating temps. The same goes for your run of the mill PC PSU.

gokickrocks said:
2nd pic posted above shows memory part# and if you go to http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/GraphicsMemory/ , you will see that its 16x32 gddr3 800mhz

It would sure be nice if they bumped the memory and GPU frequencies up. I say stick a snow blower on the puppy and overclock it out of the box. Quick, someone get BFG on the horn and tell them to help MS out :LOL:

Xbox 360 Core System
Xbox 360 Premium
Xbox 360 OC (faster memory, OC GPU, larger HDD -- for the hardcore gamer!)

Woot! ;)

Acert93 said:
They note the final retail version of the CPU will be water cooled
This is complete and utter bunk. It's not going to be water cooled.

If they are able to hit 500MHz with Xenos air cooled, would it not be possible to hit 550-600+ with a small fan?
This makes me scratch my head, because the thing IS already cooled by small fans! There's two fans sitting right at the back of the unit, you can even see one of them in the pictures, the one focusing on the power connector.

Maybe they are passively cooled
It's not passively cooled. Just because there's not a fan strapped straight onto the heatsink doesn't mean it's passively cooled. The sink sits in a channel of forced airflow = active cooling.

I know there were some complaints about the noise with Xbox1... but me, personally... I would take an extra 20% in performance and a little fan noise than no fan noise and a little less performance.
There's absolutely nothing that says you can get a magic 20% performance out of the hardware. That's just something you grabbed out of thin air.

You want 20% higher performance, you're going to pay MORE than 20% higher price. MS lowered GPU performance of the original box by only 6.3% because the faster speed would have been too expensive, and here you're speculating wildly about raising it 20% just by adding a fan... :LOL:

Besides, if you've had to listen to a god damn PS2 whirring away for hours upon end while watching movies with quiet dialog scenes, I'm not sure you'd maintain your position that more noise = not so bad. It can be quite distracting, because not all games make a ton of noise, and some may want to use their 360s for listening to music too, and then you simply can't have dustbuster fans in it.

Guden Oden said:
snip... and some may want to use their 360s for listening to music too, and then you simply can't have dustbuster fans in it.

the Xenon CPU cores are designed to sleep during operations (like movies) where they are not necessary. That might help. :)

µCOM-4 said:
DVD drives from TSST are fine. They've been available for PCs for years and work like any other drive.
Yep. They're among the higher quality drives out there. I have a couple in my system and they work flawlessly. They're fairly quiet too.

Guden Oden said:
This is complete and utter bunk. It's not going to be water cooled.

The CPU HeatSink will have a water block of some type, this was confirmed in the "OurColony" video. Something similar to the DreamCast heatsink that also had liquid inside. No one is saying it is going to have a water pump and circulate water to an externally cooled water tank.

MS has not demoed or explained exactly what they are implimenting but they have indicated something more than just a solid block with some water inside. My guess is that it is a heatpipe design of some type. Either way, in their opinion it was significant enough to mention.

Anyhow, it is passively cooled (with the case fans used to remove excess heat from the case).

This makes me scratch my head, because the thing IS already cooled by small fans! There's two fans sitting right at the back of the unit, you can even see one of them in the pictures, the one focusing on the power connector.

It's not passively cooled. Just because there's not a fan strapped straight onto the heatsink doesn't mean it's passively cooled. The sink sits in a channel of forced airflow = active cooling.

1. Having a case fan and having a fan directly attached to a heatsink result in TOTALLY different cooling performance.

2. It is commonly accepted that a video card with a heatsink and no fan is considered "passively cooled" even if the PC case has fans. COMMON SENSE tells you that even in passively cooled systems--especially in a small form factor--that there is a need to remove the excess heat from the case.

If it makes you feel any better (since you obviously want to argue about the technicalities):

"If Xenos can comfortably attain 500MHz and run at acceptible temperatures with a heat sink that has NO fan and has air flow from two small case fans, it would seem plausible that with a moderately fast fan ON THE HEAT SINK would improve the cooling properties of the heatsink enough to possibly attain higher frequencies".

There is serious talk of the R520 being clocked at 650-700MHz on the 90nm process. So the process seems capable.

Anyhow: A heatsink with a fan is going to cool better than a heatsink without a fan.

All my years of computing tells me that sticking a fan directly on the heatsink (even in a system with good air flow) is going to significantly increase the cooling properties of the heatsink. Heat output does not necessarily scale linearly with clockspeed, but a stable 10% overlock (which was the low end of my figures BTW) with a change in cooling method seems possible. I never said for certain, but at least something to ponder.

You want 20% higher performance, you're going to pay MORE than 20% higher price. MS lowered GPU performance of the original box by only 6.3% because the faster speed would have been too expensive, and here you're speculating wildly about raising it 20% just by adding a fan... :LOL:

Yets, lets go back over our history.

Xbox1 was going to have a 300MHz processor.

But this got revised all the way down to 250MHz and finally 233MHz when MS realized that 1) they were not going to hit the 150nm process and 2) when yields stunk at the larger process and there was a lot of heat due to the large die size.

The end result: a HUGE Xbox case with loud fans.

Fast forward to today. We have not heard of any yield problems with Xenos (which had working silicone in November of 2004 according to ATI).

Further, it is cool enough to 1) be in the smaller Xbox 360 case and 2) can be effectivelly cooled without a fan directly on the heatsink. The GPU only draws 25W of power according to ATI.

So your analogy to the NV2a 6% in speed is not relevant. Heck, I would argue that the higher clock speeds on the R520 and the fact the GPU does not have a fan indicate that if one were to stick one on the heatstink is a much more persuasive stance. Drawing lines to the Xbox1 is really irrelevant IMO because they are totally different situations (and the end result, loud fans and a large form factor) are obviously not visible with the Xbox 360. This indicates some wiggle room to me.

As for what I said: Of course it is speculation. I never made any claims otherwise.

Besides, if you've had to listen to a god damn PS2 whirring away for hours upon end while watching movies with quiet dialog scenes, I'm not sure you'd maintain your position that more noise = not so bad. It can be quite distracting, because not all games make a ton of noise,

And yet that did not prevent over 90M PS2s from selling did it?

and some may want to use their 360s for listening to music too, and then you simply can't have dustbuster fans in it.

As Tap-In noted MS already noted that when the load is low 2 of the cores poweroff.

That's marketing bunk. Heat pipes may have liquid inside them, but the terminal heatsink is still air-cooled. And I consider a fan to be active, not passive, cooling.

Acert93 said:
1. Having a case fan and having a fan directly attached to a heatsink result in TOTALLY different cooling performance.

Needing a fan on the heatsink is a byproduct of having a chassis with very poor thermal design. All a fan directly attached to the heatsink does is move around air.

2. It is commonly accepted that a video card with a heatsink and no fan is considered "passively cooled" even if the PC case has fans. COMMON SENSE tells you that even in passively cooled systems--especially in a small form factor--that there is a need to remove the excess heat from the case.

This isn't a video card and PC terminology is generally flawed.

"If Xenos can comfortably attain 500MHz and run at acceptible temperatures with a heat sink that has NO fan and has air flow from two small case fans, it would seem plausible that with a moderately fast fan ON THE HEAT SINK would improve the cooling properties of the heatsink enough to possibly attain higher frequencies".

Your description of the design is incorrect. The design involved a ducted fan design and if anything has better thermal properties then your general PC fan and heatsink design. ie, the ducted fan design should have a much lower pressure/flow curve than a non-ducted design.

Anyhow: A heatsink with a fan is going to cool better than a heatsink without a fan.

While one would hope, this is not always the case. In addition, this quote is not applicable to the x360 situation.

All my years of computing tells me that sticking a fan directly on the heatsink (even in a system with good air flow) is going to significantly increase the cooling properties of the heatsink. Heat output does not necessarily scale linearly with clockspeed, but a stable 10% overlock (which was the low end of my figures BTW) with a change in cooling method seems possible. I never said for certain, but at least something to ponder.

your years of computing obviously don't include any years of thermal analysis. Just as an FYI, a wind tunnel effect is the better cooling methodology than the designs generally employed on PCs. The primary reason wind tunnels/ducts aren't employed in PCs is because of the need to design the ducting to the system which is difficult in the PC market do to the fractured nature.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

Back