3-page IGN Xenon article. they need to do more research

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/595/595535p1.html

In 2001, Microsoft madly rushed out its first console ever, Xbox. The commanding system, powered by a 733 MHz chip crafted by Intel, and a Microsoft and nVIDIA-powered 250MHz custom graphics chip named the XGPU

buzz! wrong. XGPU | NV2A shipped at a final 233MHz, not 250MHz. even IGN's much older articles on Xbox, at or around launch, acknowledge this.

GPU: Xenon's GPU, codenamed Fudo, is a generation beyond the ATI X800, and designed at ATI's Marlborough, Massachusetts office. Its clock speed is 500 MHz and it supports Shader 3.0. Developers are currently working with an alpha 2 GPU. Beta GPU units are expected by May and the final GPU is slated for a summer release. In game terms, the final GPU will be more powerful than anything on the market today. It's compatible with DirectX 9's PS and VS 3.0. It's also compatible with the next version of DirectX (DX10).

buzz! wrong. Fudo is to codename for an ATI chip for PCs, the R520. right?

and Sega's Katana, Dural, and Blackbelt (Dreamcast)

yeah, almost, but not exactly right. BlackBelt was not Dreamcast, only Dural and Katana were. The BlackBelt was a different machine, the one that lost and was not selected.

tisk, tisk, IGN. you're slipping.

...waiting for the usual blokes that say, no, only "xbox" ign is slipping (I'm so fond of the fanism when people say "Gamecube IGN is fine, they never inflate scores", or "IGN PS2 is respectable", bla bla bla...) in some pathetic attempt to protect a their console of choice...

buzz! wrong. XGPU | NV2A shipped at a final 233MHz, not 250MHz. even IGN's much older articles on Xbox, at or around launch, acknowledge this.
could just be a type o . No need to get so big on it .

buzz! wrong. Fudo is to codename for an ATI chip for PCs, the R520. right?
no clue sorry . I've heard it used before but i have no clue ... wasn't the r420 fudo and the r520 loki ? Or mabye the r500 is fudo

Megadrive1988 said:
r420 = Loki

r520 = Fudo

Xenon VPU supposed to be r500 or r5xx (not r520 aka Fudo) name = ????
Correct. Back when R500 was R400 it was called Crayola, but it certainly isn't Fudo.

Backing up its HD era theme, Microsoft wants all games to be created for high definition, with a minimum baseline of 720p at 1280x720 for gameplay and video sequences; 16:9 aspect ratio; 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound, and anti-aliasing.

Optical Drive: Xenon will not use Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Xenon videogames will appear on dual-layer DVD-9 discs. While the media is the same as that of the current Xbox, the usable space on each disc is up to 7 GB. The DVD drive is scheduled to run at 12X.

Something doesn't make sense. Why would they push for a HD-era if they're staying with DVD-9 disc? Surely DVD-9 can't hold as much content especially for HD standards.

Something doesn't make sense. Why would they push for a HD-era if they're staying with DVD-9 disc? Surely DVD-9 can't hold as much content especially for HD standards.

Of course it can . I'm able to play half life 2 at hd-tv standards and it came on cd roms

Media form does not have anything to do with high def. Hd-tv is simply a resloution which is of a much higher quality than ntsc 640x480 . Thus any broadcast (hd-dvd , consoles , tv ) at that resloution is a high def broadcast .

So as long as ms displays at those reses nothing is wrong with thier claims . They can put a n64 cart drive instead of a dvd player and it can still be hd .

The only problem is that dvds can't hold as much information. Which means you may have multi discs instead of a single bluray disc .

However i highly doubt for the first few years of its life any dev will need more than 7 gigs or 14 gigs (2 discs ) unless they are putting large amounts of fmv on the disc . I also highly doubt we will see a game fill up a bluray disc unless it has large amounts of fmv . But then again if we are getting unreal 3 + quality graphics fmv is really redundant .

jvd said:

Of course it can . I'm able to play half life 2 at hd-tv standards and it came on cd roms

Media form does not have anything to do with high def. Hd-tv is simply a resloution which is of a much higher quality than ntsc 640x480 . Thus any broadcast (hd-dvd , consoles , tv ) at that resloution is a high def broadcast .

So as long as ms displays at those reses nothing is wrong with thier claims . They can put a n64 cart drive instead of a dvd player and it can still be hd .

The only problem is that dvds can't hold as much information. Which means you may have multi discs instead of a single bluray disc .

However i highly doubt for the first few years of its life any dev will need more than 7 gigs or 14 gigs (2 discs ) unless they are putting large amounts of fmv on the disc . I also highly doubt we will see a game fill up a bluray disc unless it has large amounts of fmv . But then again if we are getting unreal 3 + quality graphics fmv is really redundant .

Yes, thanks for clearing that up. I keep thinking about Movies when refering to HD.

Yes, thanks for clearing that up. I keep thinking about Movies when refering to HD.

well the reason why hd on movies is normaly talked about on hd-dvd and bluray isn't because they are high def formats . Its because they have alot more room than a dvd-9 and thus can use higher bit rates and the high def res and fit the extras and other things on one disc. a dvd-9 wont be able to store all that data unless they use special compresions

Back