US Army and Navy will use the Embraer ERJ 145

pascal

Veteran
Some friends are happy :)

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ca...ID=3883562&industry=IND_AEROSPACE_DEFENSE

Embraer ERJ, part of the Lockheed Martin team, will provide its ERJ 145 platform for the U.S. Army's next-generation battlefield surveillance system called Aerial Common Sensor (ACS) under a Systems Development and Demonstration (SDD) contract awarded yesterday.

Embraer announced plans in 2003 to open a new facility in Jacksonville specifically for U.S. defense and homeland security programs, and the ACS program is the first slated for this facility.

home.jpg

This is news from august, 3 2004.

This time it is a defense program. US buying defense equipment from Brazil? This is new for me.

I dont know exactlly what Lockheed Martin will do. They will modify the jet (ERJ 145) to a next generation battlefield surveillance system.

Today Embraer already has three different defense airplanes for ISR.
The EMB 145 AEW&C has an unique high-performance multimode active phased-array Doppler radar mission system, including an onboard command & control and advanced data-link suite.

The EMB 145 RS/AGS is an advanced asset capable of providing real-time and near real-time imagery and electronic intelligence over ground objectives.

The P 99 is the new generation aircraft for missions ranging from Maritime Patrol up to complex and demanding Anti-Surface/Submarine operations, which require the capability to employ an extensive array os smart/conventional weapons.

LOL! I do really like the ERJ! Very elegant looking little jet, more comfy than CRJ IMO.

But battle field versions? When will we have another inclident when a passenger version gets shot down and whatever country's military blame it on - we got it confused with a AWACS!

If you laugh at such notions, then may I remind you of at least 2 incident in former USSR where passenger jet got shot at - a 707 which managed to land and a 747 crashed from direct missle impact, and the ruskies blames it on - oh, it looked like a E-3C!

As for the all mighty US military, there was that incident of Iranian Airbus A300 downed by a missle in the gulf...

Wonder how much compensation the families got!

pascal said:
This is news from august, 3 2004.

This time it is a defense program. US buying defense equipment from Brazil? This is new for me.

What do you mean? US also buys toys from China.... :)

P.S. Our govt also bought these jets.

Katsura said:
But battle field versions? When will we have another inclident when a passenger version gets shot down and whatever country's military blame it on - we got it confused with a AWACS!
And this is an smaller regional jet which is more widespread. Hope there will be no incidents.

Deepak said:
What do you mean? US also buys toys from China.... :)

P.S. Our govt also bought these jets.
Toys :LOL:
Usually people protect their defense markets.

Maybe this is a sign of new globalization winds :D
More integration between markets.

The planes are being built here in Jacksonville. This allows full US control of the technology since it's sensitive. Nothing is being done in Brazil. Embraer's home office is in Brazil.

Its being done at Cecil Field, a former NAS base.

Should be some good paying jobs there. And it's only about 6 miles from my house. hmm....... wonder if I can get clearance.

:)

MPI said:
Guden Oden said:
But what does it DO? Can't someone tell us that? :oops: :D

It's an AEW(airborne early warning) aircraft, somewhat similar to our S100B Argus.

http://www.mil.se/pfp/baltlink/ais100b.html

Basically they strapped the fine Ericsson Erieye radar system onto a jet instead of the SAAB turboprop we use.

Hope it brings in some well needed dosh to Ericsson aswell...

Yeah, I remembered something about Ericsson selling a couple of radars to Brazil early - mid 90's. The design looked familiar enough, nice to see the americans warming up to it.

Back